Sigma immobilliser, my keyfob stopped working, why?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Carl loader, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Carl loader Forum Member

About a year ago, i bought a new keyfob for my Sigma immobilliser as the key ring part on the old one had broken off, and i was gettin worried i might loose it. So i got a new one, got it all programmed and it's been fine until friday.

I went round to my local dump to drop off some old car bits, which is about two minutes away. I pulled up, dropped all the bits off which took about two mins, then went to restart the car and i couldn't dissarm the immob. So i went home and got the old keyfob, and it dissarmed and started straight away

Now i've noticed that the new keyfob does still light up, but it flashes 3 times when you press the button, where as the old one only flashes once. I don't know if they have both flashed like this as i never took any notice, but was just wondering if anyone out there knows about these immobs, and wether the key fob is broke or could it have lost its memory?

Its a Sigma SG40 by the way, so quite an old one

2. Spacemonkey Forum Member

I got a car a bit back with 2 flobs 1 worked and 1 didint, it turned out that it had lost the code for the alarm (the flob that is) i checked the book for the alarm and you could reprogram yourself. check the book as yours may be the same. if you have no book put the model no for the alarm in a search engine and you may find it there.
    Good luck.

3. gsxr600nick Forum Member

how much was a new keyfob?

4. barticus New Member

They drop out of sink with the alarm sometimes it probally needs to be re-sinked. only problem is you need to do it with the hand held device which plugs over the l.e.d on some of the later alarms like the sigma s30 you can do it through the key pad. But seeing you have had it over a year you probally have the m30 or similar which is not possible to do without the hand held device. I can re-programe it in for you as I fit these for a living but I live in leicester so not sure where you are??
    Cheers Ben

5. Toad New Member

Did you ever fix this fault? I have exactly the same thing happening to mine. I read in a couple of other different threads that there is a code to type in, but all the codes have been different.

Thanks

Tom

6. Carl loader Forum Member

No i never did solve this problem. Like someone has already said, the immob i have is a really early one so you need to take it to a Sigma dealer who puts the code reader over the LED to recode it. Takes about 2 mins and they charge you about 20!

I just can't understand why the original one thats been with the car since i've had it is fine and the new one i bought last year has lost its signal. Don't know if this is a sign of it losing its signal but the one thats duff now flashes 3 times on the keyfob when you press it, while the one that works only flashes once

Oh, and by the way Ben i live in the south near Salisbury

7. Toad New Member

Cheers for the info Carl. I've just contacted a sigma dealership just up the road in Winchester to get a quote. No doubt it'll be OTT [:^(]

I noticed it flashing 3 times as soon as it stopped working too BTW.

8. Carl loader Forum Member

Yeah i was wondering if anyone else's flashed 3 times. Im hoping that its just lost its memory. Are you gonna get your keyfob recoded or buy a new one? Just be interesting to know if that 3 flashes does definately mean that the memory has just gone or if the keyfob is buggered

Cheers

9. Toad New Member

I emailed the local Sigma dealer on Thursday and haven't heard anything back.

Guess they don't want my money, and they're not going to get it at this rate either.....

10. richellis Forum Member

I had this problem an intermittant fault with a key fob, on top of the local multi-story carpark and at collage. The problem according to my local dealer is mobile phone masts. If there is too meny of them close to where you are, the alarm gets confused and thinks the code is being grabbed and scrambles it, ie doesnt work!

11. Carl loader Forum Member

Ah, thats handy to know. Luckily i had a spare keyfob so i managed to get that and start the car. I take it then that the keyfob that stopped working can be reprogrammed?

12. Toad New Member

I went into the dealers and they had a fiddle with the alarm, they reckon that the fob has packed up. it doesn't emit a signal, and they want 50 for a new one.... I've found a couple on the bay, and will buy one of them in the end. I wasn't impressed with the company, called Accutek, especially as they charged me 15 to tell me that....