Sill rot vs MOT for mk2 golf

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by saladman, Jan 24, 2022.

1. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Evening chaps + chapettes. Good news is MOT didn't fail or advise on any rot which is, just about the only good news haha.

An oil leak reared it's head on last weekend's testing and this developed into something a bit too serious for the tester. Fair enough. They also picked up some kind of fuel leak apparently from the pump, so it's with a (trusted and mk2 friendly) garage. I had checked oil level so fingers crossed it's nowt too major.

Thanks for the advice, tips and sharing of leftfield methods to 'deal with' rot. I especially enjoyed welded sill trims and glue hahaha.

@MJA I was fortunate enough to inherit a decent MIG welder from a relative not so long ago. Did a little bit of experimenting with some sheet steel and a lot of reading up online. Jury seems to be out re: 0.6 vs 0.8mm wire. Not had the kahunas to do any 'on car' welding yet but agree that starting with something out of sight is best. Need to stop watching youtube vids about it and just get on with it :lol:

2. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

The mobile welder chappie that does my welding always has a water spray to hand due to the amount of wax in the box sections which may catch light.
    Hope it goes well. It's a skill I'd like to master.

3. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Good news to report! Oil leak was from an oil pressure sensor and the fuel leak apparently a loose... fixing of some sort. So I now have a sparkly new MOT and the task of dealing with everybody's best mates the insurance companies. Fingers crossed the car will be back on the road this coming weekend.

I'm aware that an MOT doesn't necessarily indicate a healthy car though so going to take it easy to start with. Easy to say, hard to do [:o)]

@AndyBa thanks for heads up about wax fires, hadn't thought about that. Will keep you updated with photos of my terrible welding when it happens.

Cheers

4. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

So was that the oil pressure sensor near the filter?
    Mine was leaking a while back. I drove home and noticed a trail of oily 6" drops along our wet road. I didn't lose much oil but it was so obvious who the culprit was!
    More recently I had a fuel leak in the engine bay due to the fuel pipe chafing against the cam cover clip. Initially I was in denial thinking it was something else until I lifted the bonnet to be confronted with the strong smell of fuel. A temp repair was done with duck tape to get me home. That was a lucky escape.

5. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Glued sills and duct tape fuel line repairs, clubgti, the home of proper engineered solutions to everyday safety issues...!

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Now I know how I got the name Dodgy Dave years ago following an incident involving (or rather not involving) a split pin holding the nut on a mini driveshaft, and it's great to be with like minded Badgers. :)