Slicks for the 1/4 mile...

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Russ_JDUB, May 14, 2005.

1. Russ_JDUB Forum Member

Ok everyone, tell me all I need to know about slicks.

After having a bit of trouble getting the power down at Santa Pod today, I'd like to get a bit more traction.

Which are the best ones to go for? - I'll be running 15 inch wheels BTW. What is the best PSI to pump them up to?? And what sort of width wheel would be best suited?

Thanks! :)

2. Russ_JDUB Forum Member

I'd prefer to go for some road legal ones aswell if that's an option.

3. veedubber Forum Member

Its all about getting the quickest time on road tyres, sod the slicks and do it for real.

Drive there, drop the PSI and concerntrate on getting a good time, it is possible and dont claim you have to much power as thats a load of toss mate!!!
    My mate can pull under 13's in his nova turbo at over 120mph on road tyres (no uprated diff!) so it is possible to get blistering times. With slicks its faster by half a second, but last time it made him snap a driveshaft clean in half due to the stress of the extra grip!!!

Its far more satisfying (sp!?) getting quicker times on road legal tyres IMO tbh!

stef

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If you want a more grippy road legal tyre look at the Yokohama A048R in 195/50x15, only problem is they're 100 each [:^(] The silver mk1 G60 that was quickest in it's class at Inters was running those.

5. steved Forum Member

Don't forget the Toyo R888 77 inc Vat and Del, I've used these for 6 sprints and they are still ok

6. Russ_JDUB Forum Member

Don't get me wrong mate; I ran high 13's all day, best being a 13.701 that was on Goodyear Eagle F1's GSD3's and I'm more than happy with the times. I dropped the PSI to 20 on the fronts.

I was only after a bit of advice to see if slicks would be an option; not sure I fancy snapping a driveshaft though! [:s]

Will look into some more grippy road tyres as suggested by others. Thanks all!

7. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

Try 10 to 12 psi :thumbup:Also,a048 are road legal but a048r are only legal on lotus cars.

8. Russ_JDUB Forum Member

So if I bought some 195/50/15's, whacked them on my 7.5 x 15's and ran them at 12psi that'd be ok to do?

9. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    Yep, live gvk said my mates mk1 g60 was hiting 4.5/4.8 to 60 at inters and 12.9 quarters! (9.5 to 100mph:lol:)
    Jons corrado with a stealth 290hp 20vt (same as u ) Done 4.6 to 60 and 13.2 quarter with bridgestone s03 205-40-17 at about 12/15psi!
    Also put about 40psi in the rear tyres.(less drag)
    The times at interswere more or less the same as the pod the mk1 does 13.0 an the corrado does 13.5 at the pod.</BLOCKQUOTE>

10. GVK

Didn't you know my car is an Exige in disguise Dazza? :lol:

11. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

lol............. goes like one.

u running a048-R ?

If so tut tut tut! we rang main importer about these and they said that the a048 (not R) are road legal but the a048-R are not because they are very dangerous in the wet. The are only legal on lotus because of some sort of fuk-up. Thats why they made the A048(not R) for all types of car.

Just what i was told when i wanted to order them. ???

12. GVK

I didn't know there were any different ones mate. They're not bad in the wet, but not good either. :lol:

Just had a look at them and they're actually A048 not A048R , On the Nurburgring list i'm on they call this type of road legal competition tyre "R tyres" So that's probably why I've written that :lol: [:$]

You'd be mad to use them as your only tyres though, with the wear rate and general harshness of them, grip like f#@k though [:D]
    Edited by: GVK

13. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

Just what i heard off the guy.

I wont be using them all the time there way too for that!

They hold on like fuk! Jat (silver mk1) reckons they grip better on concrete as he had less problems getting the power down at inters than the pod!

Thats with 2nd gear launches aswell,hardly let go at all.