Small Fuel leak

Discussion in '16-valve' started by jedi, Jan 28, 2012.

1. jedi Forum Member

Went out today to do the usual checks oil,water etc and noticed signs of a fluid leak on the coolant pipe and down the face of the gearbox traced it upwards and noticed the join between the cold start valve and inlet manifold was wet wiped it and it stank of petrol. Started the car up and its not a drip drip leak but after 5mins there was traces of fuel there again the car starts on the button from cold it grumbles slightly when the revs settle from 1100 down to 950 but once its warm its fine, is this leak down to a knackered fifth injector not shutting off or a dodgy cold start valve?

2. Carlos Forum Member

im sure that injector should only fire when starting or on cold acceleration and when not in use should not drip.

When its cold, remove the cold start valve and place down into a container (to catch fuel). Start, or attempt to start car and make sure the injector sprays in an even cone shape. Turn engine off and wipe the injector with a clean cloth, it shouldn't leak for at least a minute. Then replace the gasket between injector and manifold.

Hope this helps

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if it wont stop spraying unplug the thermoswitch, its the big brown one in the front flange. make sure it is brown as well, if its white you have a digifant ecu temp sender in there!

if unplugging the thermoswitch stops it spraying you need a new one, it should only spray for a short burst when cold

4. jedi Forum Member

Definitely a brown sender in there, I checked it today at work and there were no signs of any leaks, but its started stalling when cold after the first time you dip the clutch again it done it on the way home and when I went out earlier which I thought I'd banished after following the basic setup guide. With regards to testing the cold start valve is it best to disconnect the king lead to stop it firing up when cranking?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah also id disconnect the 2 black wires to the coil as well just to be safe