smelly mk2 16v

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by ugy 76, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ugy 76 New Member

[xx(] hi all can anyone tell me if its normal for a mk2 16v to have a very strong smell
    to the exhaust fumes, since i bought the car I've had probs with fumes coming in the car I've solved that to some extent but l get a bit coming in when I stop at lights etc and its very strong, any help would be great, cheers. Ps its not a petrol smell.

2. nealey Forum Junkie

Could be a number of things

I would start by checking for any split pipes or for any major oil leaks

3. ugy 76 New Member

No oil leaks, it was riddled with them when I got it so they've been sorted, its got 180k on the clock if that's any help.

4. nealey Forum Junkie

does it get worse if you have the heaters on?

5. ugy 76 New Member

No its just when I stop

6. I've experienced this from two problems;

1 - Small hole in the exhaust branch which was only slightly audible (passengers often complained of the offending smell!)

2 - Exhaust joint flange between the branch and exhaust just in front of the first silencer on my 8v, which was only a slight odour.

7. ugy 76 New Member

i had the exhuast checked out at the garage they said it was fine apart from the back box which was blowing so i replaced that and the little rubber flaps in the inner wing, it seams a lot better now i just get a blast of the smell when i stop at lights etc, also i forgot to ask about the breather pipe that comes out of the block and connects to the air box, i cleaned it out 1 day with de greaser and what i thought was a big lump of **** was the filter which i pulled out, i tried to find a new pipe but couldnt find 1 so i was told to stuff it with wire wool which i did, ever since intermitant blue smoke out the back could that be the reason and what does the pipe do? any input would be great cheers