Snetterton mk1 vids from sunday!

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by I V - mk1 16v, Mar 13, 2006.

1. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

i was at Snetterton on sunday and here's a few of my vids of the day,

It was taking ages to get any heat into the rear slicks and i wasn't properly happy with them all day, hence why i was a bit of a mobile chicane. Anyway excuses over.

Starting with a lap chasing a yellow caterham
    5mb

A little clip of me actually catching a slide. :o
    1mb

Another lap behind the caterham this one ending with my burst hose and off!
    5mb

And for the lazy amongst you just a little clip of the actual spin, turning into riches at about 85mph, in retrospect notice the tell tale steam coming out of the nearside of the bonnet just before i turn in.
    2mb

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Whose that squeaky tw4t in the passenger seat? :lol:

Well held = thanks for not crashing. [:D]

LOL :lol: @ the 'catch' WEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYY !! :clap:
    Edited by: GVK

3. Keith R Forum Member

That's some very handy video there, Ian. I'm racing there in 3 weeks! As usual, your vids demonstrate the circuit well:clap:.

In stock hatch, we weren't allowed to use any of the tarmac beyond the white line on the exit of Sear. Hope that's not the case for the historics. Bet you were motoring down the back straight before the bridge[:D]!

That spin at Ritches looked like a heartstopper! Well contained though!

4. GVK

It was good fun, why I said well held mate tho... I have no idea :lol:

It helps if you can use the 'extra' track onto the back straight, you can get on the power earlier.

5. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

you'd have though the passenger would have brought a booster cushion...

6. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

With a good run out of sear i was seeing 120 on the speedo which is a bit out so probably a real 110-115mph,

And as for the spin, yes heart stopping and the containment more luck than judgement! :lol:

i wouldn't copy my lines too much thou' not great really and i only read up on my circuit guide again after i'd got home and watched the vids today. [:$]

Watching your own videos back is a good training aid though, might be worth doing at lunchtime in future just to pick out better lines. :)

7. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

To be fair to the evil villian blofelt dex, i know he's a short bottom but the passenger seat is mounted very low. :lol:

8. GVK

9. DEX

from my minimal experience of race school at snett...

Line through riches was basically good - the instructor would lean across and put the wheel at one position on turn in, hit both apexes and brush the kerb on the exit (i wouldn't - i'd saw my way through the corner merrily)

Sear is a corner all about the exit - most important corner exit on the circuit (russell being close second for racing) you can afford to really screw up the braking between riches and sear as long as you get a good run out. The esses are a real compromise corner - you use the second or two that your car is straight in the middle for braking, so work out how fast you can take the second part + how much you can brake in the straight section and that's your entry speed to the first part. Bombhole is a superbly enjoyable corner - as long as you hit the apex, otherwise famer giles will collect you from his field as it will throw you out. Coram is a deceptive one, very long, so it's hard to judge mid-corner speed because you can end up in trouble on the exit and get someone on your inside into russell. Russel is a corner i've never ever got right - have no idea how to take it apart from defensively on entry then worry about a good run out. Bad corner for kerb hopping, but also make sure the car is settled from coram before braking. Many many people will start to brake a fraction too early for russell, still have the suspension loaded from coram and find they enter russell at nintey degrees.

10. GVK

One tip for Coram, don't exit the corner too early, else you'll put the left rear wheel on the grass.... [:|] :thumbd:

11. Keith R Forum Member

My only experience at Snett was last year in stock hatch in greasy conditions. Total tracktime 30mins. Hope it's dry this time.

12. DEX

and who got the fastest lap in their heat?

GVK - always used to be great for the Tuscan racing series - lots of people would apex too early, exit too early, get pushed wide and instead of *coming in* for russell would be seen disappearing off into the distance along the grass......

13. GVK

Joe 'lets have a burn up lads' Fulbrook (VW Cup Bora) did 3 or so spins on the exit of Coram and didn't hit anything when we did the MSV/circuit driver track day in Sept :lol: :o

14. iguana Forum Member

Really liked Snett yesterday, much much better than I was expecting, way better in the flesh that the layout would suggest, Bombhole & Corum at proper speed= big plums needed ;) & funny that revett straight is ment to be longest in UK (well on BSB they used to say it was anyway (but for my car im faster top speed at Donny (tho its downhill to be fair) & also at Bedford Gt & Brands GP, maybe Silverstone GP too, but not had Golfy there, only other wagons.

15. DEX

oh yes! you can spin a long long way when you make a mess of coram. Just as well really. (mind you the guy who made a hash of the braking into the first bit of the esses and tried to take the second bit as a left hander got a bit of panel damage when i was there a few years back...)

16. GVK

Al, it's a long straight but a slow corner leading onto it.

LOL @ 'BOOOMSHANKAAAA' when your car backfired down the pit straight :lol:

17. Mad 20v Forum Member

Nice vids :thumbup:

Just found this vid from the same day (i think)

Elise

Makes my 1:20's look slow [:$]

I must get one of them Honda SC kits for the Exige :p

18. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

19. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Kin Ell!

i think thats scuffers in his racecar. It's so fast it looks speeded up. :lol: No wonder he was lapping me about every 4 laps. [:$]

20. GVK

Is that the yellow one Finchy? Was very fast that.. :p

edit - f**k me [:|]

we're not worthy...