Some thoughts and help please (8v bike carbs)

Discussion in '8-valve' started by th3_f15t, Aug 10, 2016.

1. BPanesar Forum Member

Dull question here folks, but what noted improvements do you get with the bike carbs, to be exact? Let's say it's been installed on a regular 8v PB engine, what are the actual gains and losses from it?

2. The ANT Forum Member

I'm no expert on fitting them to vw engines but i did it to a ford engine, more air in the engine, means more power and/or torque (torque lbft rpm 5252 = bhp), providing they aren't too big (air speed is very important) but one butterfly valve serving all 4 cylinders cant provide the same amount of air as 1 butterfly valve per cylinder, also if the carbs are closer to the head than the original throttle body than you'll get better throttle response.
    Getting more fuel in the engine is relatively easy, getting more air in is often quite difficult, this can be a way to do it

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  3. th3_f15t New Member

Another way to improve the PB engine (in GTI trim at least) is to fit the Audi 80 throttle body and port the inlet manifold to match. Quick and easy, improves flow a lot and cheaper/easier than bike carbs. I'm looking to do this conversion mainly for fun and not performance, these days it's far easier/cheaper to source a mk4 Golf GTI with the AGU engine and transplant that into the mk2.

EDIT: Not applicable to the mk2, only the mk1 Golf 8v engine! Sorry.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I would have thought no benefit on a MK2 Golf from that mod. I have an Audi 80 3A throttle body and they are the same, if not more restrictive on the first throttle stage.
    Only benefit is on a MK1 8v GTI engine.

5. th3_f15t New Member

Oh yeah, I realise that now! Was reading that topic on a mk1 forum and thought it'd be the same for the mk2 but obviously not!

6. th3_f15t New Member

Dragging up an old post, but it's regarding using a DX head...

Do these have bigger valves as standard compared to an EV cylinder head? Also, if it was removed from a mk1 1.6 GTI, would that mean I can't use a mk2 Golf GTI PB camshaft due to the different type of tappets used in the mk1 engine?

7. dogzila Forum Member

EV and DX heads almost the same, valves are same. No, you can't use hydraulic cam in mechanical head.

8. th3_f15t New Member

Ah, so I'd need a different cam. You can't concert to hydraulic tappets though, can you? My reasoning is that I think the DX head runs bigger valves than the EZ?

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no you cant add hydraulic tappets to a solid head, the required oil feeds to pump them up are missing. if the DX has the stock camshaft in it keep it supposedly slightly better than the digi ones though I havent seen any hard evidence of that as of yet. if you have a pb head you could just swap that over complete, will fit straight on an earlier 1.8 block no problem the block is the same where it counts and the head itself is basically the same as the kjet versions.

the 1.6 and 1.8 carbs have smaller inlet valves, the exhaust valves are the same. plus I think the head porting isnt quite as good on the carb head

10. th3_f15t New Member

Interesting, cheers for that. My carburettor head needs the waterways TIG welding up as they've corroded so thought it may be better to upgrade the head to a better one. Might look towards a PB head, but if this seller of a DX head has the cams I may just go for it so I can have a better flowing system even at stock.

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

saves you worrying about blocking up the coolant feed round the back as well :)