Sony CDX-MP40 in a 1993 MKIII Golf...

Discussion in 'ICE' started by jcorallo, Oct 28, 2003.

1. jcorallo Forum Member

Are these farkin things meant to dim when you put the main headlights on or what?

I've now got this bright blue thing beaming at me from the dash board at night - and its a real distraction.

I'm sure it should go dimmer when I turn the lights on?

Some bodge background:
    For some reason, this player didnt work when I attached it to the ISO connector in my 1993 MKIII Golf.

I have had to bodge a power wire at the "car side" of the connector into the power wire of the "radio side".

Even when I swapped the red-yellow things round like it says to, it didnt work.

So I'm thinking either my power to the ISO connector is broken, or the connector is not ISO - but something else. Also, cos I've bodged it, I dont get the warning when I leave the face on and turn the igntion off.

Grrrr.

Can anyone confirm that it should dim, and that they have fitted one to their car without problems?

Jules

Edited by: jcorallo

2. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

mmmm, i dunno, you could disconnect the illumination wire, so it doesnt get brighter when the lights are on?

tim

3. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

On my MK3, the factory speaker ISO connector is the wrong way round - all LEFT speakers are RIGHT and vice versa.

Most modern medium to high end units SHOULD have a dimmer function. The best way to check is to see which wire coming out of the head unit relates to dimming and see if there is a corresponding wire in the car ISO connector when you plug the two together.

If there's no wire in the car connector problem solved. If there is then you need to test if there's 12v when you switch the headlights on.

Regarding your power wire problem, the fact VWs have the ignition and permanent power wires the wrong way round is well known but swapping the wires SHOULD do the trick. However, on the Sony MD player that came with my MK3 this HADN'T been done and the unit worked fine. Again, the only way to be certain is using a voltmeter on the relevant wires.

* IIRC on some Sony units there is a little switch on the head unit itself that has something to do with the warning and power

Edited by: mr.brown

4. Joggie New Member

Hi I have the Sony CDX-MP50 in my Golf (mk1) and as far as I have read in the manual there is no function to dimm the display . [:s] [:s]

5. jcorallo Forum Member

duh - so you are like me - aghast at the fact that its so bright and you went searching thru the manual to see it it was true....

Which position in the ISO connector is usually reserved for the headlight dim function?

thanks for all your help guys.

Jules

6. jake Forum Member

my one (some sony MP3 player, I forget the numbers now) has an illumination lead on the iso thingy from memory, now I dunno if it works as I left it off, but I figured it might have connected to the dash illumination circuit (iirc blue and grey wires floating around in there somewhere)

Mine doesnt glow too brightly though so I'm not too worried.