sound proofing

Discussion in 'ICE' started by coolasacucumber, Dec 2, 2003.

1. coolasacucumber Forum Member

soon getting my mk1 back from the spray shop. where is it best to sound proof in the car and what is the best stuff to use?

cheers

2. mr purple Forum Member

Any large panels that will resonate easily, such as doors, roofs on a mk1 are terrible for this and benifit immensly from proofing, rear 1/4s and as much as you can in the boot. I used roofing flashband from B&Q, not quite as good as dynamat or brown bread, but about 1/4 of the price at 18 for a 30cmx10m roll.

3. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

im car rattles like a female dog now,

im going to buy a bulk load of dynamat, i think its 150 but you get alot,

tim

4. hansom_dog New Member

haha what a waste of money if you bought 150 worht of flashband u could do the whole car 10times over!
    go for flashband mat i have and does the job on my mk2 running 2X12" pionner subs off a 900watt alpine digital amp

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Dynamat = Greatest rip off ever!

6. DANBOY Forum Member

i had a look at the flashband in b&q's it was 28 for the largest roll and tbh it didnt feel that sticky but then again it was outside and its freezing so maybe if warmed up it might be stickyer

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

use "Brown Bread" it's really cheap and just as good as dynamat.

8. DANBOY Forum Member

9. StefanVW Forum Member

I used self adhesive Flashing tape you can get in homebase. It's a 10m by 30cm roll and costs about 15. Works good too.

One piece of advice though... don't try to apply it if the temperature where you are working is below 10 - 12 degrees - as it won't stick.

10. DANBOY Forum Member

ill go check out homebase :)

11. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

note: flashing tape IS NOT soundproofing......

12. StefanVW Forum Member

yes but it does work. Tried it first hand and it does make a difference.

I guess many things could do the job (such as carpet underlay, thermal insulation, etc) but flashing tape is just convenient because it is cheap and is self adhesive - which makes it easier to apply.

13. jake Forum Member

I filled an old mk2 with a load of underlay and foam in the rear 3/4 panels and underseal in the doors (cheap-assed affair on my part) and it worked a treat, cut road noise, made the old 8-track sound better, in all very nice car (thats a lie but it was quiet)

Tip - when using a very water absorbent material such as underfelt, make sure the door membranes are OK or your floors fall out shortly afterwards...... :lol:

14. Madbloke Forum Member

But it isnt sound proofing as Phat VR6 says ---- Dynamatt (esp the extreme stuff) is designed for this sort of job, it sticks to panels properley and has a working temperature band to ensure it wont peel off at the first sign of frost (as I have seen other products do)
    In short it increases the quality of the sound inside the car by stopping the rattling and converting it into power to increase SPL and quality

Yeah there are other things like this stuff from homebase etc that may stop the panels moving but this sort of material absorbs the musical notes and destroys the sound inside the car - not what you want after spendin x on stereo

I dynamatted the whole of the inside of my car, roof, floor, boot doors, the lot and I know the difference it makes as I had the car SPL tested and RTA tested before and after and saw the results. Worth the money :lol:

15. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

Madbloke: what were the results mate for before and after?

16. Madbloke Forum Member

I'll dig the info out tonight

17. Prax_88CAB Forum Member