Sourcing ABS sensors

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by SkyRocketeer, Jul 1, 2014.

1. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Managed to mangle both abs sensors (4A0927803) whilst doing a bearing swap on my A6. New ones are silly money from the dealer. I seem to have bought the last second hand one on Ebay (that was sensibly priced). GSF don't do them. ECP/carparts4less do for 68/50quid accordingly.

Ebay do new ones for beer money - 13 delivered. Or a bit more.. I can only assume they're pattern ones, rather than genuine.

So what's the difference? What is the extra 40/50 quid paying for? the ECP name? I'm guessing the ECP ones aren't genuine, but they don't say either way, and have gotten a bit coy over where they get their replacement parts these days anyway.

Has anyone bought sensors from any/either of the above sources and can share their experiences and opinions?

This is the only thing holding up getting the barge back earning it's keep, but I'd rather not have to pull the suspension apart to replace the sensor again (it's a ballache to do due to the daft design)..

2. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

I've only ever fitted Euro car parts to a MK4 golf and they were fine had no issues in the time I owned it after that before flooding the engine :-)

3. aminder

Yeah for this reason it is sometimes worth going the extra $$.

I bought a coolant temp sender from ebay the other day - cheap plastic thing didn't really give me much confidence against the original one. I Ended up fitting a old one I found.

You should be safe with the ECP/carparts4less ones - you'll be paying for OEM quality just no stearlership tax.

4. SkyRocketeer

I've had poor quality parts from ECP and GSF in the past, hence my asking here..

5. aminder

Might be a risk you got to take unless you can find a low mileage breaking that has original factory ones.

It's a pain when something fails and you got to repeat all that work again

6. SkyRocketeer

Typical c4 platform A6's are looking at 200K miles, and they're getting rare now. Can't really afford the time to scowl around junkyards hoping to get lucky, so will probably take a punt on the ebay ones that quote a 2yr warranty.

7. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

I wish I could remember where I bought them for my Mk3 16v a couple of years ago. GSF were asking around 25 and I eventually bought them from a place in Bristol for 4.95. Couldn't believe they would work but thought I'd give it a go - worked perfectly for the 13 months I had the car after that. Might have been VWS. Not entirely convinced the main dealer or GSF ones could be worth that much more.

8. whitemk2 Forum Member

I had Febi front ones and Bosch rear ones on my old mk4 golf and never had a problem with them

9. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Highest OE quality. Tested in Germany. 2 year warranty. No Brainer there!

10. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I fitted 2 pattern ones on the mk5, both don't work. One failed instantly, the other fails over 80mph.
    Cheap foreign rubbish!