Speakers for rear shelf supports?. Mk2.

Discussion in 'ICE' started by KeithMac, Oct 9, 2023.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Hello all, I'm fitting a new head unit to my Mk2 Golf.

I have just refitted the front door speakers and was wondering what people have done with the rear shelf support speakers.

Will 6x9's fit with an adapter?, don't mind making some adapter plates up.

If not what's a good like for like rear speaker?.

Believe the unit is 50w RMS per channel, nothing daft.

Cheers, Keith.

2. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I dont think there is space in the original locations for a 6x9 even with an adaptor. Loads of aftermarket drop-in replacements, think fitment is 6x4. Most of the speaker manufacturers make them to fit, check ebay loads on there.

3. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

The general rule is 6x9 will not fit in shelf supports. However, I did see a blog post once where someone had done it. But it was a mess and a real bodge with lots of sealant and the speakers hung over the edge. I have considered this and thought if the 6x9 was angled it would reduce the horizontal width and might just work. In these days of 3D printer I would have thought it might be possible for a clever person to design a frame.

Another option, and I have no idea how realistic this is might be US spec shelf supports. I discovered they use 5x7" speakers. But as ever there's a compromise. They don't have slots for seat belts. I don't know how our American cousins do it, perhaps they only have lap belts in the rear.

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I've dug these out (Mitsubishi GTO speaker housings).

Not a bad fit so may be a go-er with a bit of modification.

Attached Files:

5. watercooled Forum Member

Keith used JBL p6425 separate 2 way ,used them in two Golfs ,good value and sound ,cheers.

KeithMac likes this.