Speed Camera Detectors?

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by Seraph, Mar 20, 2005.

?

Which is optimum:Gps or Radar?

1. GPS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. radar/laser

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Golfgirl Forum Member

Not if you take it out of the car or put it in the glove box!

Same price as a RA2, but Classic RA's can be got for next to nothing now.
    Edited by: Golfgirl

2. Rob.gti Forum Member

RA and RA2 can be hard wired, and that still leave you with a spare cable to slot it into another car if needs be.

There aint really much difference between RA2 and OB2. Both are compact and around the same price. Updates work out roughly the same to.

Nowt in it really.

3. GazB Forum Member

I've got the Snooper S4, pretty much the same as RA2, more compact tho. Got mine hard wired too as it looks neater.

They are trying to ban laser detectors, but nothing is confirmed yet, was on news in the week, GPS will still be ok tho
    Edited by: GazB

4. Seraph Banned

this question still stands tho??

5. Golfgirl Forum Member

Not happened to me yet [:D]

6. Russ_JDUB Forum Member

I've also got an Origin B2 permanently wired in.

It's a great bit of kit and has never let me down!

I picked up mine 330 brand new from eBay (That included 6 months free subscription.)

7. Seraph Banned

im guessin from the overwhelming votes towards gps, that there prob isnt as much threat from radar these days then?
    Edited by: Seraph

8. Golfgirl Forum Member

GPS knows where cameras are, so alerts you in plenty of time. Radar isn't permanent because they like to move sites. It has been said that by the time the thing has alerted you of radar they've probably already got you anyway. At least with GPS it can give you plenty of warning of the permanent sites.

9. Seraph Banned

still leaves you vunerable tho, even with gps [:s]
    somewhat of a dilema [8(]

10. Jeff Forum Junkie

most of the cameras are fixed or mobile gatsos. which are on the gps databases.

a radar detector wont give you much if any warning of a gatso, and will also detect shop doors etc, at least thats what everything ive read about the subject says.

Also I'd really hate to buy a radar / laser detector only to find its illegal in a few months time.

the way I see it, some protection is better than none, and the GPS system gives you advance warnings of more devices. You've always got your eyes as well as a backup (dont rely on the GPS system, I would say!)...

I dont have anything yet, but I'd like something.

11. Seraph Banned

hmm, good point.
    its usually a safe bett to go with the majority, so looks like a gps is in order.

12. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

Snooper S6-R Neo, has GPS and radar/laser unit (very good for traffic lights and automatic doors), 299 from Costco. Doesn't look as good as the RA2. The GPS is good, especially for SPECS when you don't know if you've passed the last one. Would recommend it but not too convinced by the radar/laser bit, although it makes me feel quite sneaky.

13. diesel New Member

As Golfgirl says, when you are targeted by a laser, your speed is taken within a split second. The police point the laser at the number plate too, and the likelihood of your laser detector (generally on the dash area) picking up the threat, and giving you adequate warning is minimal.

There is also a different issue between RADAR and LASER.
    RADAR speed detectors bounce waves back to the police handheld device for a reading. They are less accurate when it comes to targetting a particular vehicle in among others due to this. Radar is also less used these days.
    LASER fires from the police device to the offending vehicle. It is easy to target a particular vehicle among others and is very fast and accurate. It is generally aimed at the numberplate and is the more commonly used method between the two.

I have a RA2 but have it near the centre console with the discreet extention GPS antenna. I rely on the GPS for fixed cameras. I dont use the LASER part of it due to the above (RA2 does not detect RADAR in any way)

A consolation of this is that the RA2 warns you of accident blackspots. These Blackspots seem to tie in with where camera vans park up as they have to park up at "accident blackspots" too. Alot of Blackspots which appear on my RA2 are on long fast roads near to bridges and parking laybys - Get it???
    I still rely alot on my own eyes though.

The banning of these things I think, relates to radar or laser diffusers whereby if plod fired his device at your car, the diffuser inteferes with his reading giving you time to slow down.

The RA2 is not a diffuser. Diffusers are sold alone for around 200 or so I think.

Hope that makes sense and helps a bit for choosing.

14. Golfgirl Forum Member

Good review there Diesel :thumbup:

The OB2 alerts you of blackspots too, and also when you're entering the Congestion Charging Zone in London. You can also set it to alert you when you're near a school but I turned that off because it was constantly beeping as I live in a city.

OB2 is GPS, laser and radar all in one too [:D]

15. Seraph Banned

.....take it you meant....dont use RADAR above!!!!!
    Anyway!, good summary.
    GG-Id go for the ob2, but poss a bit out my price range, tho ra classic looks a possability! [:D]

16. Seraph Banned

btw, about the ob2...is it just one module or more?
    and if its not hardwired, how many wires are dangling down the dash!??

17. Golfgirl Forum Member

There's the unit that sits in the cradle, a GPS antenna and a laser detector. So it's 3 pieces - the unit can be taken out of the cradle.

I've not got any pics, but basically I have the cradle on the right of the dash, the laser detector is top right on the windscreen and the GPS is on the far left of the dash. So imagine if it wasn't hardwired in - there would be cables everywhere. You don't have to have them in those positions though - they were just my choice and best for my car.

I've managed to tuck the cables from the laser and GPS into the trim so they are hidden and the cable from the actual cradle is down the side of the dash to the fusebox.

Initially I had the cables under the mats but it was just too untidy for me as the were quite long and I thought I'd have it hardwired in as I will be keeping the car for a while.

If you're not desparate to get one and are going to Malvern Indoor Show or Inters you're welcome to have a look and I'll go through it all with you so you can get an idea of the features.

18. Seraph Banned

Cheers GG!
    i found a sneaky one on egay and its only 20miles from me, so im thinking about bidding, as theres only 2hrs left! [:D]

19. Jetta Forum Junkie

Anyone use any of the gps speed camera detectors software that works on pocket pc with gps? Any recomendations?

I was thinking of using this
    Edited by: GTD.

20. diesel New Member

No mate, I meant it like that!![:D] [:s] Unless our wires are crossed!!! [:s] [:D] The RA2 has a built in LASER detector in the unit. If you have it on your dash facing you, then there is a bit on the back which is the LASER detector bit. There is also a small black circle on the front which does the same.
    Blackspot reckon that the RA2 provides front and rear LASER detection.
    Blackspot say that the RA2 offers no protection against RADAR at all.

Due to how the police use the lasers and how accurate they are, I have decided to do without using the front or rear LASER facility in favour of a more discreet mounting position tucked away in the centre console. At that location, I cannot benefit from the front or rear built in laser protection but dont see it as a great loss.

Looking back now, I could have just done with the RA classic and saved myself some money, as I wouldnt bother with the laser extension thingy that goes with the RA classic.
    The RA2 has blue lighting and does match my dash nicely though!!!

At the moment the RA2 costs 50 a year for subscriptions, but IIRC the RA classic is a one off payment for life or something like that - its definaltly cheaper and AFAIK it uses the same database.
    I would have to confirm that though.

Im not trying to plug these things either, just I cant comment on any of the other devices as I have no experience of them.

Again, hope it helps, and reading backover it, hope you understand it!! [:s]