Speedo issues

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Hamblefields, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Hamblefields New Member

Hi Guys,

I've recently brought a 87 16v with an ABF running on K-Jet and I've been having one or two issues with her mainly due to electrics, however the most irritating one is that the speedo is well off the mark, as in when I'm doing 30 the speedo reads 40 and at 70 it reads 95 ect ect.
    However the odometer is tracking the milage correctly as I have measured it on a sat nav and on a measured mile.

The car has has a recon gear box fitted to it when the engine conversion was done but I have no idea what ratios were put in to the box as 4th and 5th are very close to the point that the revs will only drop by 200RPM when changing from 4th to 5th and at 70MPh she sits at 4000RPM.

Is it going to be the case that the car has the wrong coloured cog in the box to run the speedo or is it just a case that the speedo is fooked and I'm going to have to get a replacement???

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers guys

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if the oddometer is right it would suggest the gear is fine and the issue is the speedo itself. but what code box do you have, and whats the wee 4 digit code off the front of the speedo?

3. Hamblefields New Member

The number on the speedo is 1540, I havent had a chance to get under the car yet to check the number on the box hopefully will be doing this tomorrow.

Also when I picked up the car the rev counter was all over the show and I tracked this down to a poor earth on the main fuse board. I'm gussing that the speedo is purely mechanical and shouldn't be effected by a bad earth somewhere in the system?

4. rubjonny

1540 is the right code for a big block gearbox, so thats rulled out at least. no its totally mechanicla so earths have nowt to do wi it :)
    oh and is the box rod or cable shift?

5. Hamblefields New Member

Its a rod change with a cabled clutch. It was fitted by Midland VW along with the ABF, I've looked at there website and they seem to know what there doing so I'm gussing its just going to be a case of getting a new speedo.

6. rubjonny

cool, most of the boxes will require a red colour gear, the ones that need a white one arnt so common now. but let us know the code and we can confirm which colour gear it;ll need

7. Hamblefields New Member

Excellent will try to get the code tomorrow.

Cheers for your help:thumbup:

8. Hamblefields New Member

Right been under the car today and not too sure if I've got the right number or not but the only one I could see was 2Y 23 on the flat spot under the gear box.

9. rubjonny

2Y is a 16v gearbox, you need a red speedo gear :)

10. Hamblefields New Member

Excellent, Thank you very much.:thumbup: