speedo. need help!!!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by menzfeld19, Jan 29, 2010.

1. menzfeld19 New Member

Right my speedo stoped working so i found out that the cable was broken so i replaced the cable and checkd that the clocks and the cable were working by spining it with a drill. so thats all works but when i put the cable back in the gear box and boltd it in and then went for a drive its didnt work. so i took it out the gear box again and its as if there is nothing for the pin to go into in the gearbox to make it spin. help me please !!!!!!!!!! any ideas??

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Hi mate, does your cable have the plastic gear/cog on the gearbox end?

Neil.

3. menzfeld19 New Member

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Ahhh, that explains it.

The bottom part which sits in the box should have a plastic worm gear attatched, they are held on with a small metal clip and they can tend to fall off into the box as you remove the cable.

You can find the gears secondhand or at the dealers/gsf etc, you just need to be sure you get the correct colour.

May be worth investigating to see if the old one is in your gearbox by dropping the oil, it will more than likely be chewed up to bugg3ry.

Neil.

5. smp1987 Forum Member

had the same problem but the garage i took it to didn't even konw it had a drive gear into the gearbox i don't use them any more bunch on monkeys got my drive gear from VW 3.50 C clip was 17p job done

6. menzfeld19 New Member

yea cheers mate got one at scrapy today and it fell of because of there being no metal clip will it **** up the gear box?????

7. menzfeld19 New Member

or just chew it up?

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

More than likely chew it up...It could possibly cause problems with gear selection id imagine. Id probably look at dropping the oil and see if anything comes out?

Maybe pm one of the gearbox guys on here, hotgolf springs to mind...

Neil.

9. menzfeld19 New Member

yea will do cheers buddy