SPi to GTi / turbo conversion possibility

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Jonsie, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi all,
    My car is a 1990 1.8CLi 8v big bumper with an SPi (RP engine code) that produced a pedestrian 99hp when new. Obviously more power is wanted and the idea of a GTi has always appealed, especially as this is my daily. So to this end I have been acquiring parts but am looking for advise. So far I have,
    • GTi head
    • Intake plenum
    • Tsr exhaust manifold
    • Jetex exhaust
    I'm thinking a 268 cam after porting and flowing the head as the sticky shows in this section, plus mega squirt to do the thinking! Which throttle body would be best? Obviously I want to fit the head too a 2ltr block as wouldn't be worth it otherwise, but apart from getting a 2ltr down the scrapyard etc, was thinking about my engines.

Thing is I have 2 of these RP engines, one has only done 100k and is making great compression, the other I'm driving now and is good also. Am I right in thinking these engines are low compression? As I have a spare engine, was wondering how possible it would be to build a turbo engine out of it? Would I need a different crank? Head definitely but getting a new one is not a problem. I want to bore the blocks to 2 ltr and fit GTi heads, turbo manifold etc and mega squirt management. Apart from cost what is the major headache with this? I am in no rush as they are spare engines, just curious and would be great to build.

(And yes I realise that's 2 different engines, n/a GTi daily, turbo mk1 hooner at some point is the plan)

Thanks for any comments