*Split* Engine coolant temperature and optimum working condition on track

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by 3hirty8ight, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Henry , water boils at 100 degrees but evaporites at much lower temperatures, your oil doesn't need to that hot .

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

At nominal atmospheric pressure yes. Not the same condition in the engine's cooling system.

Engines use coolant which has different boiling points, enthalpy and corrosion properties to plain water.

3. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

We're talking water vapour in engine cavities ie pure water unpressurised , from condensation?
    Henry was saying he thought oil had to be at a 100 degrees to get rid of water in the oil / cavities I think .

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You are right. It is water in the oil not cooling system. My bad :thumbup:

5. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Viscosity and oil pressure are the more important factors to be fair. - So long as the temp is under control.

That just seemed a lot lower that I've experienced on road and track/race cars.

6. Notso Swift Forum Member

60 is definitely low for oil, my understanding the viscosity is measured at 100dC. (And I understand they hi 150+ in the motor itself, that is at the bearing)
    Of course where you measure will have a big effect, the water temps I was talking about are measured before the radiator
    Oil temps in the sump, if Rob's measurement was after the cooler...? I know the Radicals I have seen seem to have really big oil coolers relative to the radiators, like motorbikes, I guess

Toyo with do a thread one day when I have some good content ;)