Squealing!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by crookie12, Jan 9, 2013.

1. crookie12 Forum Member

Hi there

My MK2 16v was squealing from the fan belt area (on and off but especially when cold or idling) so when it was in for its service last month I had the fan belt changed as well. To my relief it solved the problem but 3 weeks later its back but slightly different;

It no squeals loudly when I first start the car up from cold for around 5 seconds before disappearing for the rest of the journey. If I then re-start the car from hot its fine but next morning it does the 5 minute loud squeal again which I'm sure the neighbours love ;)

Any ideas what this may be as keen to get it gone?!

Cheers guys

2. Chrisrpal Events Team

New belts stretch after a few weeks, so you need to retighten the belt. That's it.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yup... what he said ^^

Belt pulleys can also get polished smooth over time, to the point where belts are more likely to slip. A bit of medium-rough emery paper on the pulley surface can help to give it a bit more grip, and use brake cleaner to make sure there's no oil on there.

4. crookie12 Forum Member

Thanks so much for the quick reply guys - thankfully a very small job it seems! Thats this weekends job sorted :)

5. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Make sure you loctite the bolts holding hte alternator to the block! These have a habit of loosening themselves off on my race car! I resorted to stud lock in the end, no problems since. Might just be the solid front mount vibrations though!

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Never had that problem on a road car, so you're probably right that it's due to the non-standard mounts.