Standard suspension for 86 Golf Mk2 GTI 1800cc

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by narge, Apr 26, 2010.

1. narge New Member

Hiya,

I have just replaced bushes and ball joints on front wishbones and now am looking at overhauling the original springs and dampers all round. I am keeping the suspension standard as I have a young kiddie on the way and so must avoid being told by the wife that I must buy a MPV as the ride in the golf that I have so happily driven for 21 years is too hard for the young 'un.

My question is when I go to GSF for the dampers, which ones do I ask for? Where the originals on GTIs oil or gas? Were they Boge, Weitec or Bilstein?

If they are gas, then I am guessing that I would be looking at GSF part no. 455VG0351 "SHOCK STRUT BQ GAS FR -G2 1.6 / 1.8 Carb 8/83 >10/91" for the front as listed on their website.

Any advice would be appreciated - just please do not tell me that coilovers or Eibach/Konis are the way to go as kids cost money!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

go for gas, they're the best stuff as fitted to 16v & G60. not original fitment for an 8v, but OEM+ which imo is the way to go ;)
    I've used Boge & Sachs shocks on my MK2 and MK1, both are excellent quality stuff. Bilstein I think are good also, not sure on the Weitec