starter motor problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by scoob, Dec 18, 2003.

1. scoob New Member

Hi, got a strange problem with my 91 1.6 mk2 driver - when firing up in the morning first time (or when the car has been left) the starter will make a noise like it is trying to work ( not clicking ) but the engine does not turn over. But if i turn ignition off then back on then it works straight away. The problem is i could have disturbed anything recently as i have just fitted a new heater matrix so have been poking around and pulling under dash, in engine bay etc ( just as i fix my heating something else turns up !) I would be gratefull if anyone has any ideas on what it could be...i cleaned up the starter connections last night, still doing the same. cheers

2. scoob New Member

after reading that i reckon i should make it a bit clearer about the what the starter is doing, it actually sounds like the starter is trying to spin - or spinning, just not turning the engine. not the problem where the starter just 'clicks'

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

The solenoid isn't firing the gear out of the starter.
    Check all the wiring, make sure it's got a good earth, if all seems OK, then you need a new solenoid. It may just be sticking due to the cold. Try removing the ster, and take the solenoid off it and grease it internally.

4. scoob New Member

cheers, will try those tonight, the sticking due to cold seems to make sense as once it has been fired up theres no problem, its just when it has been left for a few hours or overnight.

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

a strip down and grease up should fix it no problem then.

clean the connectors up and grease those whilst you're at it.