Starter Motor - Which One - Mk2 Golf GTI 8v

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by blu-tak, Mar 31, 2021.

1. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Have a look at the Ben Lessani and rubjonny posts in this ...http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=165198.0

(Apologies for the website it links to, but it's the first useful one I found!)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  2. blu-tak Forum Member

Thanks for advice - I'll look into the mount.

The hella starter arrived today - says made in China (I guess most items are)

It came with the bush too

3. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Main thing to do is prop the engine up before you remove the starter otherwise like me you will waste hours trying to line-up the bolt into the front mount.

4. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Was it a Hella 8EA 012 526-761? That's one of their "Value Fit" range also available here for £65.64....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8EA-012-...852652&hash=item5d7600a587:g:fHYAAOSwCXxZtNtU

I think it's the usual story of making your company name synomomous with 'quality' products, then realising the competition is undercutting you, and retaliating by also sourcing parts from the far east and prostituting your 'good' name. It's been done so many times in the past. It's short term gain, but if you are in business, short term gain is all that matters!

5. blu-tak Forum Member

6. blu-tak Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VWH have ripped me off haven't they?

£158 from vwh
    vs
    £65-80 on ebay

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  7. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Mine was bought from that same ebay seller mjd128 for £58.29 a few months ago. It might be worth ordering the £65 one and returning the 'slightly' more expensive one.
    They are quite good quality boxes aren't they. Here is a pic of my box. It's the same, but without the added VWH label ....
    upload_2021-4-3_8-42-10.jpeg

8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

There's a lot of knock off stuff on the bay, just be careful.

9. H8V

h8v Forum Member

There is indeed, but I've bought quite few items from that seller and also been to see their operation when collecting and returning items, because they are near to me. I trust them.

Hella Value Fit is a lower price range of products and they are at least honest about the origin.

Tristan likes this.
  10. blu-tak Forum Member

Did yours come with the pesky bush, zip tied on too?

11. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Yes, and I seem to remember it also had a small yellow paint mark on the gear, like yours does. I imagine it's some kind of quality/check mark.

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its mk3 type starter you want, these still fit, have upgraded internals and retain all 3 mounting points you need for mk2 golf front bracket. MK4 dont run a front mount so will be missing the 3rd mounting point

13. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Jon. I've corrected my ebay link above. So far as I'm aware mine is a MK4 version but stand corrected if not. The problem with mine was the spindle bearing was shot assume that was due to a worn brass bush in the bellhousing which "supports" the load on the spindle. The one I now have doesn't need the bush which has to be an improvement.

14. rubjonny

it may have been listed as mk4, but if it has all 3 holes in it for the front mk2 bracket then its actually mk3 golf :) as long as its for right type of box the mk3 stuff will fit mk4 no problem. likewise in a MK1 golf you can use MK4 starters as they dont need the 3rd mounting hole

15. rubjonny

Heres the hole I mean (note crappy pattern front bracket, doesnt even line up :lol:):
    IMG-20170813-WA0020.jpg

This is only for 020 type starters as well, for 02a/j the 3rd hole on the bracket goes to the gearbox casting rather than the starter motor

16. davidut5 Forum Member

The starter i have struggles when engine is warm, dissembled and checked but everything is perfect. Could be a leaky injector that locks the engine.
    If i go for a mk3 one, which one is better diesel or petrol? I have 020 4s or 4t gearbox.

17. rubjonny

any mk3 020 one will do so 1.8-2.0 8v but not TDI they're all an upgrade over original and tbh the originals all cope just fine anyway

davidut5 likes this.