Starting problem on kr 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Dylandj18, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Dylandj18 New Member

Wondering if someone could please help. i have a mk1 golf with a kr 16v engine fitted running on carbs . It will turn over but no spark at the plugs . I have a good engine earth , and 12v on both coil terminals and 12v coming out of the coil going to the distributor . I sometimes have a spark only when i turn the key from crank to run position . The car has been up and running but it’s developed this problem , Anyone had a similar problem ?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check you still have 12v at the coil while its cranking over, could be faulty ignition switch.

does the rev counter jiggle? what ignition system is it running, kr ecu or vacuum dizzy, or aftermarket?

3. Dylandj18 New Member

Hi , yes the rev counter does bounce around as i crank it over . Its the standard kr ecu

4. rubjonny

ok that suggests the ecu is trying to fire the coil then as the spark trigger is what drives the rev counter. have a look at the coil, leads and distributor cap etc :)

5. Dylandj18 New Member

As you said , i pulled off the coil dizzy and leads cleaned the terminals etc and the car fired thanks rubjonny

6. rubjonny

nice one :)