Starting Problem - Petrol

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by andy_hot, Dec 27, 2003.

1. andy_hot New Member

[:^(]
    Crying my Eyes out!!!!!
    I have a Golf GTI C Registration (1985) MK II beautiful car. The problem is that last month it was cutting out quite frequently (hardly accelerating) I kept on starting it when this happens and it takes me a few more miles every time. I thought it was power related and changed the HT Leads and plugs. The problem still existed. I also heard a funny buzz from the Fuel Pump under the car. I changed that and the problem is still present. I have spoken to a few people about this and they cannot help. I understand that there is another pump and sensor somewhere????? that may need changing. I don't know of this. The only other thing I am thinking of is the pump in the tank..... Can anyone PLEASE help? I miss my baby.

2. alanbe2 Paid Member Paid Member

There's a lift pump in the fuel tank, not sure where, but as I understand it it will exhibit the syptoms you're describing. Haynes should explain I'd guess ;)

HTH

Al

3. vw scottie Forum Member

a freind had this problem it turn out to be the lift pump was gettig blocked by all the pooe in the bottom of the tank .the reason you can go for a few miles after you stop is that when the pump stops the pooe partly unblocks it then when you start again it starts to suck back again till blocked once more hence you getting so far then your engine cuts out

4. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

The lift pump, as its name implies, lifts fuel out of the tank and primes the fuel reservoir under the car where the main pump lives.

When the lift pump fails, fuel can only enter the reservoir via normal gravity and syphoning (spelling?). This is why the car will run if traveling on bumps/round corners and be okay, but fail when the car is in traffic or on a steady flat road. The more the petrol is swished round the more it dribbles into the reservoir.

The buzzing sound is the main pump running dry.

Lift pump is attached to the fuel gauge sender and is accessed by removing the boot carpet and undoing the three screws that hold the circulat cover to the top right of the spare wheel.
    Undo the plastic screw retainer, remove the pipes and electrical connections and you'll see it.

New pump is about 20 and just pulls off of the sender, nice and easy.