Steering rack question

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Golf14, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Golf14 New Member

I need some help, i want to convert my MK3 from PAS to manual rack, doses anyone know what MK2 rack to use ,part number?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Why not use a mk3 rack?
    You'll need other parts as well.

3. Golf14 New Member

I would but can’t seem to find one, do you have a part number for a MK3 one.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Track rods are shorter on mk2, i swapped mine when went mk3 wide track on mine, then reverted back to standard mk2, so have near new pair here for non pas rack, power steering ones are different.
    Column to rack uj and a non pas bulkhead boot, presume you would need a late mk2 one as can swap the mk3 one to the late mk2 from what I understand, I have a mk3 power rack and mk2 track rods to fit it for mine in the future.

It's the lower spec mk3 that's non pas, and a little rare admittedly, but what about a caddy mk2/inca, ibiza 6k , or polo classic/estate (not the 6n hatchback but similar look)

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk2 and mk3 manual racks are the same fit, any age for either car will do you fine plus seat ibiza/toldeo/cordoba, polo saloon/estate or caddy van up to around 2001-ish. if rack comes from mk2/caddy/polo/ibiza you just need mk3 manual track rods and the boots too if the ones included are no good (Mk2/3 same part number for these)

make sure you get the universal joint to go with it, mk2 rack up to 90ish are different spline to 90-92 mk2 and mk3 so you need the right one to suit.

you also need the manual MK3 outer boot as the MK2 boot is too small at the bulkhead, ibiza ones same part number as mk3 golf but not cadd/polo though I guess might still squeeze on.. you could probably glue mk2 lower section to mk3 upper though.

only thing on early mk2 they dont have the extra metal cup that sits on the rack where the boot goes, there is a cup part you can buy but another thing you need to track down

in short, lots of effort, maybe re-think and stay pas :lol:

dodgy and Savagesam like this.
  6. Golf14 New Member

Thanks for all the information, I have now found a new seat cordoba one that I’ve purchased and going to convert the track rods to roses joints ,will have a look at the boot when I’ve got it all apart.