Stereo dead and now the battery!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by jd0m, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jd0m New Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a 2003 GTI with around 80K miles I bought about two years ago. Until this past week, I have not had a single problem with the car and I have been very happy with my purchase. However two days ago I entered my car and noticed that the factory head unit (cd player, tape deck, radio knob and display, station buttons, etc) was not illuminated while I was driving. It would not turn on (all my other instruments on the dash however, were illuminated, such as speedometer and rpms).

When I got home, I turned the car off, and back on again. There was a very high pitch "beep" which lasted about 3 seconds when I started the car (the sound itself was generated from outside the car).

Today I tried to turn on the car but it is completely dead. Power locks don't even operate, and the clock display and odometer are continuously flashing.

Anyone have an idea? I'm a college student with a really crazy schedule and I am having trouble finding the answers (which I would like to do before I go into more debt getting this thing fixed....)

Thanks in advance for any insight into the matter!!!!!

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

possible fault from head unit so id do this 1st,remove the head unit and tape up any exposed wires,charge the car battery and see how it goes,may not be a cure but its worth a try