Stiff Tracking Adjustment

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Sam Manning, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Sam Manning Forum Member

Hello... I went to get my tracking checked and aligned after I brought some new tyres and they took a few hours to do it as apparently the track rod nut was really stiff and very hard to get off...they came back and said I needed a new steering rack.....now being a tight ass and untrusting of tyre places do you think they are trying to stitch me up for my well earned cash or can I just replace the track rods and ends myself???? How hard is it to do???

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

i think the track rods can be separated from the rack..so if the tracking adjustment is jammed surely you can just replace the track rods?

but if you did have to change the rack make good of a bad situation and either get a quickrack or fit pas.
    Edited by: acf8181

3. jc.. Forum Member

Don't let them do anything! I just had recommendations from Kwikfitup, I may as well buy a new car if you believe them!

Track rods can be replaced without replacing the rack

4. Sam Manning Forum Member

Thanks guys you may have saved me a small fortune!!!

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

As long as the track rod isn`t siezed into the rack.

Best bet is to warm up the track rod end and nut to free it off, unless they`ve already knackered it!

6. Sam Manning Forum Member

Does that mean new rack???? They got it undone last time but did say I dunno if it will come off again......bugger I just had a new rack and column on my Clio 16v....I dont want another!!!

7. TommyT Forum Member

Just do everything to get it off... Get as much grip as possible. Even if it means Welding a bar onto the area and using that and a spanner:)

TT

8. Admin Guest

yep, just get some new track rod ends, they are about 15 or so i'm sure, i replaced mine not that long ago. tose kind of places always try to make money from you, and they are complete arses!

9. smithy Forum Member

I've re-newed my track rod ends, came off easy but the threads on the track rods past the locking nut look well nasty, going to try and "save" them sometime, if not, i'll buy new ones.

Any idea how the track rods detatch from the rack itself?