Stranded, fueling problem.

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Dono, Sep 19, 2007.

1. perry01 Forum Member

Right..... still no joy!
    I took the airbox apart sprayed the warm air flap with wd-40 (it is the orange rubber thing, right??). then when the engine was running the flap was kind of just spinning slightly- which seemed like it was working?
    I checked where the warm air intake pipe goes down to the manifold and there is no metal shroud, its just hanging down towards the manifold. didn't have time to get to the scrappy!

I've read the thread from the link (EZ__Pete), and its started me thinking.... I take it you mean the the thermostat is the thing mounted to the left hand inside of the air box? well I looked at mine on my lunch break and the 2 valves on the outside of the box are not connected to anything.... So I presume its not in use. is this gonna be my problem, if so has anybody got any diagram/pictures of where they should be connected to??
    cheers for all the help so far any way guys.:clap:

2. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Look at the drawing on this thread, I don't think you've found the flap as its not an orange rubber thing
    http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=140133

The thermostat controls the flap using vacuum, so it needs those nipples connecting to the vacuum and to the flap.

3. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

The round orange thing is something to do with not letting oil mist and steam from the cam-cover breather shoot straight onto the back of the air filter, I think. Nowt to do with your hot air situation anyway.

The flap that we're on about is inside a rectangular 'box' at the front-most end of the hard plastic parts of the airbox, you may have a foam-covered pipe linking this area to a fitting on the inside of the wing, discard this foam pipe if present. Looking up where this foam pipe was connected to the airbox entry you'll see the flap, and the linkage hanging down off the diaphragm that moves it (inside the round casing on top). If you pull upwards on this linkage you should be able to move the flap reasonably easily, but it is sprung downward IIRC, and you'll see from where it is hinged that in the up position it would let warm air from the exhaust manifold shroud up into the airbox, if you had all the necessary pipes connected (and the thermostat isn't too full of yuk :lol: ).

There should be a vac pipe from the nipple on the edge of this round cover to the front nipple on the airbox thermostat. The back nipple (of the thermostat) should go to a pipe stub round the back of the carburettor. You'll probably find a loose pipe dangling down there somewhere, unless someone has connected it wrongly to somewhere else!

5. Drew21 Forum Member

I think this is your problem then, the flap is at the junction where the intake pipe meets the pipe coming up from the exhaust manifold (which I think you said was present but the manifold shroud was missing?).

This flap is actuated by vaccum and is controlled by the thermostat in the airbox.

So you need to:
    1 get some WD40 on the flap
    2 put a vac line between the flap actuator and the frontmost port on the airbox stat (suck on the vac line to check the flap is working)
    3 find the vac line to the airbox stat and replace it (this has probably fallen off somewhere behind the carb, it runs from a port near the base of the rear of the carb IIRC, Rubjonny's FAC should be able to help you with the details here)

all of this is just repeating all of what Pete said above, so you can it in stereo ;)

6. grozzy15 Forum Member

This takes me back years and years.... My Mum used to have this problem with her old 1.3carb, the problem with tht was the "wax-stat"... [:s]

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Strange that, 'cos as far as I can work out, the only fault a broken, or deteriorating waxstat can cause is too-high idle revs. [:s]

8. grozzy15 Forum Member

Sorry, I should've said "Don't quote me on this", cuz it was about 15 years ago!!! [8(]

It might even have been my '86 Scirocco 1.6 GT that I had cutting out problems with in '93 which was the warm air and vacuum feeds.. Crikey, how your memory fades when you get past 30....Having said that, I reckon it could've been my '86 Scirocco 1.6GT that had a problem with cutting out which was sorted out with a new hot air hose and vacuum pipes..[:$] :lol:

9. perry01 Forum Member

Thanks for the help and advice guys.... its still not sorted though :(
    when I was tinkering about with it last night doing all the things mentioned, I noticed various pipes had been cut!! I'm gonna have to take a picture and post it on here at lunch so you can see for yourselves!
    one thing I have noticed since I've done all the messing around, is the over-run has stopped??
    Also (without meaning to sound even more stupid than previous) with regard to the warm/cold air flap- the metal rod moves up and down and springs back as it should but I cant physically see any flap actually blocking/allowing warm air???

10. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

The warm air feeds from the exhaust to the bottom of the flap unit, the flap hinge is on the bottom edge nearest you. So when there is no spring tension it should totally cover and block the warm air feed.

11. perry01 Forum Member

There Isn't Anything To Block The Warm Air Feed, Its Open Even When The Metal Rod Is Pushed Down.
    Which Would Explain Why I Couldn't Find It In The First Place- And Thought The Orange Thing Was It!
    I'm Going To Try And Get Hold Of Another Air Intake Unit Me Thinks...

12. Drew21 Forum Member

'tis odd then as if you don't have the flap then some warm air (from around the manifold - even with no manifold shroud) is going to be drawn into the intake at all times, or does the flap also close off the cold air feed when it opens?? I can't remember this detail

Did you check that the heater on the front of the carb is working, I can't remember if we covered this as well. Just read your first post and I still think it is carb icing, and you did check the heater... erm.

I suggest a trip to the scrappy is in order to get a new air intake (check the flap operates when you suck on a pipe connected to the flap actuator thing, it may need some freeing up) and a shroud for the exhaust manifold.

...you could of course botch it up a bit by blocking the cold air intake off and so force the engine to breathe 100% through the warm air feed. It'll lose a bit of power but it shouldn't freeze the carb. That may at least prove that a new intake would help you out.

13. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

The flap can fully close off hot and cold air, but mainly hovers inbetween (well mine did in september when I was fiddling) but I suppose in the extremes of hot and cold it could be fully hot or fully cold position.

14. perry01 Forum Member

[​IMG]

HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY CARB..... WHETHER IT WILL HELP YOU GUYS HELP ME OR NOT?

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for a start your vac lines are messed up, your pulldown unit isnt doing anything and there should be a line to the green ball! Check my pierburg carb FAQ it shows where all the vac lines go.

16. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Interesting...:lol:

The vac hose dangling under the green ball looks like the one that should be on the rear nipple of the airbox thermostat (though it's hard to see where it's going down the back there). The one from the port labelled 'B' on the black pulldown unit at the front right of the carb should go to the green ball.

You don't seem to have the extra 'teed-in' connection from the brake servo area, nor the non-return valve associated with it, but don't worry about that! I presume the vac line coming across the top of the cam cover on the right, near the breather is going to your distributor?

A new sealing ring/gasket between airbox and carb looks to be called for (cheap IIRC).

See my new thread for some piccies of the airbox flap etc.

17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looks to me like the hose that runs from the servo pipe to the ball & pulldown unit is missing, which will give you an air leak, to match the air leak into the pulldown unit you have too :lol:

The feed between the brake servo pipe & dizzy should have a solid plastic line on it rather than rubber hosing, though I don't know if this will make any difference to the running of the car or if its there to prevent it rubbing thru on anything...

Click thru the piccies on my web hosting of my old carb, it should give you an idea of what you should be looking for, click me

18. muppet9966 Forum Member

You guys are genius's!
    Its a shame I replaced my pierburg with a fully functional weber. :lol::lol:

19. perry01 Forum Member

Oh...!
    Well The Guy I Bought The Car Off Mentioned He Done Some Thing With The Carb To Make It Pokier- But I Thought He Just Meant He'd Adjusted Something.
    The Vac Hose Dangling Under The Green Ball Was What I Fitted Last Night, To The Back Of The Carb- To The T/stat On The Air Box. But Its Not The Right Place, Its Just Under The Edge Of The Back Of The Carb.... Any Idea What This Is For Or Does It Even Need To Be Connected?
    Ok Well Tonight I'll Correct T/stat Line, Connect Up The Green Ball To (b) On The Pull Down Unit.
    Yes The Vac Line You Are On About Ez_pete Is Going To The Distributor. I Looked At Your Pics On The Warm/cold Air Flap- And Mine Is Definitely Not Present.... One More Thing To Get Sorted!! :(
    Do You Know Where I'll Find The New Seal/gasket Your On About Or The Correct Name Cus I Cant Seem To Find One On Gsf?

Cheers For The Link To Those Pics On Your Website Rubjonny, Finally I Think I Understand The Diagrams For Connecting The Vac Lines!

20. perry01 Forum Member

What About The Vac Line That Is Resting Next To The Oil Filler Cap- Do You Know If That Is Suppose To Be Blocked Or What Its For??