Stripping underseal... how to?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by drew, Nov 6, 2003.

1. drew Forum Member

Will need to do this at some stage to complete the work on my mk1.

Any advice on how to do this apart from lots of hard work? Any useful tools, techniques or chemicals?

Cheers,

Drew.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ian Carvell will probably give a good answer on this...

3. madmk4 Forum Member

Drew me and a mate stripped the bichelin out of his mk1 golf, not quite the same as underseal i know, but similar. We used a hot air gun to heat the bicehlin up and a long flat, thin piece of metal to scrape it off, once you've done that we cleaned the residue off with some HOT soapy water and it was just nice clean pain left.

It was suprisingly easy to do, i'd imagine that the underseal will be the same to.

4. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

I did it on my old mk1, I used a blow torch and just scraped it with a wallpaper scraper then cleaned it off with gallons of thinners, don't go to mad around those circular plates in the floor or they won't be held in by anything...unless you plate over them which is also what I did with some aluminium. [8D]

[​IMG] :o

Also those wire brush drill attachments are very very handy, get a few different size ones.

If your cars got petrol in it, be carefull the fuel lines dont get too warm for obvious reasons when your using a blow torch!!
    Edited by: Vento Mike

5. 76

76 Forum Member

You doing the underside Drew to get it to hardcore concours?