Struggling to start, hot or cold

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rob8vGTi, Aug 12, 2023.

1. Rob8vGTi Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,
    I have a 1990 KR GTi and when I get in the car, whether it’s first thing in the morning going to work or when I stopping at the corner shop to pick up fags, the symptoms are the same. The car will crank and keep going until the car coughs and splutters into life. These symptoms are identical whether I’ve left the car over night or just for 10 minutes. Once the car is running it runs fine with a smooth tick over and good acceleration. I’ve changed the lift pump and changed the pipe and ‘o’ ring while in there. The underbody fuel pump is also running,
    Any suggestions what it could be or where I should look next guys?

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

It makes me wonder if it is losing its pressure when off. Unfortunately I am only learning on the early kjetronic issues

3. Rob8vGTi Paid Member Paid Member

I did put a pressure test on until I broke the fixing. It started at zero for obvious reasons, then it didn’t build up but shot to 5.5 bar. It remain at 5.5bar until I turned it off when it instantly dropped to 3bar. It was at this point the banjo bolt for the tester started leaking and my idea of nipping it up just end up shearing the head off.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

next time, spray a load of easy start into the inlet and try again. if it fires right up its fuel delivery, if not possibly spark issue or its already got too much fuel perhaps due to leaky injectors dripping fuel in the bores