Stuff you wish you hadn't bought for your Dub

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by EZ_Pete, May 13, 2009.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Oh, here's another one - or few:

Loads of parts I have bought from GSF. The highlights include:

- A GSF MK2 upper steering column bearing housing. The casting was so poor, and the threads so badly tapped, that it couldn't have been fitted properly. The steering lock mechanism didn't seem to be held into the casting quite right, and for that reason alone I'd never fit this component to a car, because failure of that locking mechanism while driving is something I don't want to think about. Utter, utter rubbish.

- GSF tie-rod end balljoints. The comedy thing about these is that the rubber boots on them had completely - I mean completely perished - before they actually saw the road. The car had sat for possibly ten months or so between me fitting them, and getting the rest of the car ready enough to drive for its MOT. Within that time, they had perished from just being sat outside.

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

220 on carbon fibre door cards for the SEAT Ibiza track car that i now dont own. Still, the CF is nice. They might end up hung in picture frames if nobody buys them.

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

febi thermostat and febi top mounts. dead within a year

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Oh, thought Febi was supposed to be a good German OEM part manufacturer, no...?

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

top mounts absolutely shagged (ie the damper was about to push the bearing through the top mount)

the 92* febi stat (should be an 82* one on the abf, but febi say theirs is an equivalent) managed to get even worse within a year and had my water temps almost constantly at 100* according to vagcom and my oil temp at a similar level on motorways.

the febi bearings are doing ok though

6. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

chrome look golf ball gear knob, heavy and stone cold to the touch
    binned off in one day....waste of 20

7. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

bought some cams for the VR, man it drinks petrol now like it's a thirsty alcoholic,
    like it wasn't bad enough to start with.....

8. thegave Forum Member

How about 250 notes on a "TSR" head that had been sat in a scrappy for yonks

Or 150 for "Spax" shocks that look like cheapass pattern parts and absent "bike carbs"

Or the 200 I dropped on brand new pirelli p6000's all-round when I replaced the wheels two months later anyway

Or paying 300+ for a gti camshaft, ex manifold and downpipe to be fitted to my driver when I was going to replace the whole head anyway

9. G60. Forum Member

You sound like the guy i should be selling all my junk to.
    Feel free to pm me with your reguirements.

10. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

pipercross viper induction kit 160 WTF was i thinking! not even using it anymore. still looks good though.

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I had one of those too in the winter it was so cold i was worried about frostbite

12. kerrly Forum Member

GSF thermostat and temperature switches.... led to the premature death of my rebuilt 9A :-(

Ansa back box for my 16v - strange design where it looks like it should be 3inch round exit pipes but are actually more like 1.5inch with 3inch pipe around the outside of it = not a great sound and adverse effect on performance.

13. davey Forum Member

heres one! that wolfsberg edition crap! door pulls winders mirror adjusters floormats.... the list is endless! all taken out of my chavved up golf not too long ago!!!!! people just like to spend money on crap!
    funny-est thing i found was a recipt for a richmond alloy gear knob from halfords for something like 26! and i had to cut it off! ha

14. pigbladder Forum Addict

jetex exhaust...noisey rubbish

15. Dono Forum Member

undercar neons (still boxed,and in the loft) red convuluted tubing for my engine wires. it looked like a red octopus in the bay, so that too came out.

many many more bits, too much to list.

16. madmonkey Forum Addict

Ebay coilovers that I never got round to fitting.

Set of 17x8 Magnesium Desmond Maquis Promada wheels that I never use due to sheer paranoia.

17. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

3 spoke alloys for my first 8v Golf, back when they were all the rage(!)

18. theboymike Forum Junkie

Never bought any regrettable tat as I'm too much of an originality tart and have too much taste ;)

I did however spend the fat end of 500 on all the gear to do the valve stem seals and cambelt, fitted it and stacked the car about 3 months later [:x]

19. Dubmuffin Forum Member

I'm a one for buying things and then a couple of weeks later changing my thoughts totally on how I want the car to look.
    I wanted OEM so bought bottletops, now I want showcar so i'm looking at OZ sports... with some fully refurbed bottles I have fallen out of love with :lol:

20. gorilly Forum Member

my mk1 cabriolet... drove it for a month its been in the garage since