Sucking in air through the breather ?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by MR D, Mar 18, 2010.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I just cannot understans what you were hoping to acheive by going anywhere near the cam pulley to free off a stuck starter?!

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the belt was definately taking the force though. transmissing that to the crank and then to the wheels

in real life, the only stress it would normally take would be turning the cam sprocket whilst being driven by the crank (engine running)

could very well ahve stretched it big style

3. MR D Forum Member

Oh god !!!!
    Took the head off,could not believe how easy the manifolds came off,only took hour and a half.
    Downside is the gasket looks fine,i mean new looking,all the metal is intact,does not look more than a couple of years old,i have had it 5 and never touched the head.
    If anything,and i am picking hairs here,1 of the head bolts was a couple of pounds less torqued than the others,but only a couple of pounds,surely not enough to cause these readings ?
    Been on the phone to an engine builders today,and he didn`t even have a clue what it is.
    All components look really clean for 230 thou miles,even combustion chambers ,inside ports etc,valve seats.
    Valves all open and snap shut nicely,so really stuck,going to clean the head up with some emery,and check if there are any visible cracks,also been told to check it`s straight with 2 metal rulers.
    Re face will be 45 + vat,they can also crack test it for me
    Will get a new cam belt,just in case it stretched,but would that not be taken up by the tensioner ? As it still ran the same after taking it off an re setting timing ?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See where i have had the screwdriver finding tdc [:$]

4. MR D Forum Member

So the belt has a set length,if i had stretched it it could well not be giving it time to close properly or something,weather it was taken up by the tensioner or not ?

5. MR D Forum Member

Well been a busy boy today,went and bought the correct valve spring compressor,and stripped the head down ready for porting :hugegrin:

All went well,i didn`t go too mad,just smoothed things up a bit,removed the lip from the valve seat insert,matched it to gaskets,and gave it a little polish,all valve guides are nice and tight,not going to bother with the stem seals,only need this engine to last me a few more months..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why did all the ports have numbers stamped into them ?

Will be taking it to be ground flat today,will possibly get new valve seats cut,then i can lap them in,then re fit on tue or wed weather dependant.And cross everything it sorts my problem,will be coming off the road,while i build the 9a if it hasn`t

6. MR D Forum Member

6 thou off it,said one corner was a bit lower than the rest of the face,spoke to my bro in law,and he said it may have been a valve sealing issue,on 3,and looking at the seats,there are a couple that are quite pitted.
    Will no if it`s fixed over easter i suppose,next couple of days i have a lot of work booked,and as i am doing this on a driveway it`s also dependant on the weather,my days of lying under cars in the rain ,have long since passed !!
    Saying that though,i really miss it,helps me unwind ,going for a blast to clear my head...

[​IMG]

I have been out there since 10 am,back together ,running just,flipping starter is about dead,have to hit it every time you want to turn the engine over :crying:
    It`s running but it`s still doing exactly the same as it was doing before,sucking instead of blowing,if i don`t hold the throttle open it just dies,ign timing is a bit out,but the hall sender bit on the side of the dizzy stopping me turning it enough,so i forced it and snapped the plastic bit that holds the wires,moved it so it`s running faster,so think that is now about right.
    Promised the wife i would put her new carb on tomorrow,so not going to be able to spend time on it now,need to just move the vernier a bit see if it helps...Help i can`t take much more..Think i am going to have to take it off the road,but it`s summer

7. sjm66 Forum Member

Just had a re-read of the whole thread.... when you say its sucking air, is it sucking directly from the connection on the rocker cover ? it should blow there right ? On a DX the breather pipe runs from the inlet manifold via the rocker cover to the airbox..... if you pull off the pipe at the airbox it will suck in air. The same goes for the 'T' connection on the rocker cover, air will be pulled in by the running engine.

Post up a picture of the engine bay

Steve

8. MR D Forum Member

Cheers for taking time out mate !! Have cobbled the post together as it`s also on the roc reg,

Yes .

will take a pic today,Yeah only breather is on top of rocker,if i block it it stalls the car,it`s still sucking in through it now [:^(].it did go to the air box but now goes to a catch tank,when i went to empty the tank,which was half full,i noticed it sucking in,had not touched anything else,just blocked up the pipe on the air box with a plug..

The other output goes to the little valve thingy on the inner wing,and a t to the manifold,so maybe i need to block the other side that goes to the rocker,and then the vac will just go too the little valve thing ?

Oh and i didn`t do any damage to the cam belt,i measured it up against the new one,and it was exactly the same.
    How much movement back too front is normal on the pistons ?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  9. MR D Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you go,hope the pics are ok

10. sjm66 Forum Member

The plastic pipe that joins the rocker cover vent..... this joins to the inlet manifold so as far as I can see thats why it appears that there is a vacuum from the engine. If you block or cover this then it will reduce the ammount of air the engine has to idle and so stall it.

I'm not too sure about the valves on the inner wing but I'd guess they are something to do with idle ......does the car have AC ?

I'd put things back to standard and eliminate any air leaks by replacing any dodgy looking hoses and try again.

Steve

11. MR D Forum Member

Nope no ac,or pwr steering

Yeah some of the hoses do need looking at,when i removed them some were as soft as toffee [:^(] And more or less fell to bit`s,i have cobbled some together with what i have lying about at home,but do need to replace with correct bore etc,
    Going to have a look now,as the Webber i got for my wife won`t fit the manifold on her mk2 driver[:^(].
    Going to take the other connector that goes into the rocker cover and blue T piece out,see if that helps,but like i said i have only tampered with the breather to catch tank connection,about 6 months ago when i fitted the tank,and it had been working fine until last week.other bit`s of pipe were replaced 1 at a time to ensure they went to the right place,not sure if there were any valve type things inside either rocker cover,or any of the other pipes i replaced

12. MR D Forum Member

Just had a look at another dx rocker cover i have found in my shed,this one only has the one breather outlet,not the double one,which is currently fitted,i bought the one that is on it at the moment,as it was painted,mine was all rusty,think you might be onto something Steve

13. sjm66 Forum Member

here's my daughters mk1 gti set-up. This is def a DX engine.... its a little defferent to your set-up but you can see the manifold is connected via the rocker cover to the airbox. This is 100% standard

[​IMG]

S

14. MR D Forum Member

Going to try doing away with the blue T piece,and just connect the clear pipe to the idle valve thing,see if that helps,cheers for the pic,it`s helps,it may not be the engine sucking ,but the pipe that comes from behind throttle body is obviously a vac .

15. MR D Forum Member

Thanks for your help,everyone who took time out too read and comment ! [:D] It`s now fixed,running a little lumpy,but i need to get out and drive it before i start messing with the vernier,in an ocd style !
    Can`t believe it didn`t occur to me to check that pipe ,before taking the head off etc.
    But the upside now is i have a skimmed and ported head,with nicely lapped in valves,and got the Janspeed fitted.Get in !!!

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

Erm yeah - that would explain some of your problems - I'd think you've got air being sucked in that breather hole, and out of the other one into the manifold. It's unmetered air, bypassing the metering head, and causing your engine to run lean.

Having closed off that air bypass, you'll need to adjust the tickover. It may be that your head was becoming a problem too, after running with that leak.

17. MR D Forum Member

Think it must have been blocked until the other day,when i gave it a proper ragging it must have sucked out what ever the blockage was ? As it wouldn`t run afterwards.
    It`s ticking over a bit high at the mo,but need to adjust stuff a little,and try and salvage the broken connector on the dizzy,cleaned up the starter,gave it a good blast of carb cleaner inside,then some wd40,it`s working again now.
    Mate is popping over with the comp tester,so will do another test tomorrow.
    I removed the T and just plugged the idle valve into the manifold,going to replace all the different bit`s of hose,drop the oil,pop an new filter on,get some tax,then hope that`s it for a bit,while get some money together for building the 9a/kr combo

18. MR D Forum Member

Need to get it on the rollers now,got it tuned up as best i can on my drive,getting very ocd with my vernier,pulling over every few miles to adjust it,then trying too work out if it`s quicker or not !!
    Little abuse of my roc vid,ran out of private road ,before the bend.....

.[​IMG]