Sunroof trouble

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Deleted member 104105, Feb 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Hello!

Having trouble with my sunroof at the moment. Had the Mk2 resprayed in November, which is lovely, but the whilst using the sunroof, something's happened and I can't wind it back to fully closed.

It opened up ok, but the winder made a ratcheting click click sound, and when closing the sunroof, it stops short at what appears to be the same distance that the click click click winding time period would have missed if you follow?

Anyway, can anyone point me to a step by step guide to dismantling a sunroof please?
    Any advice gratefully received.

cheers
    jake

2. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Have you screwed the gear down under the winder handle properly? Take it off and check the gear and also i think you have to get the gear in the right position to go back and forth

3. Pretty sure it's screwed in tight, but will check the position. Thing is, the winder gets stuck hard and can't wind any further to get the sunroof to close properly.

Thanks.

4. damien.wrl Forum Member

Try giving the back edge of the roof a thump... Apparently they don't like being not used often

5. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Weld it up!! :thumbup:

6. Chrisrpal Events Team

It's a common problem with old sunroof mechs, if they have been removed and not put back properly. Even worse with a tilt and slide setting them up.

Alot of bodyshops won't remove the sunroof on a mk2 as it causes all sort of issues. The guy who painted my MK2 didn't want to remove the sunroof but as I have done this many of times I had no issues with removing myself. Thing is when removing you need to mark all the settings with a paint pen so you know where the settings go when re-installing.

I reckon it's either a setting up issue or a snapped cable/ misalined cable at either one of the ends.

See this thread:

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?34535-Sunroof&highlight=mk2 stuck sunroof/showthread.php

7. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Nah you dont need to mark it. Just take pictures then easy peasy

8. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

How I don't miss my endless leaking sunroof. Best thing I ever did was get rid!

9. Thanks guys!

The sunroof doesn't leak, but I don't intend using it. Can't take pics, as it's already been in and out (twice, once for new seal, second time for paint) and now it's stuck.

Will have a look at the other thread, see what I can learn, and report back.

10. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

What did you do? weld it up?

11. Update!

Roof is back in and working a treat.

The guy who removed the sunroof to do the seal a year or so ago had reassembled/seated the winder and boss incorrectly, so once the ratcheting occurred, it'd never wind back in properly (as it was reassembled exactly the way it was taken apart by the body work chap).
    Also and the runner wheels were not pushing the sunroof away from the edges of the recess, hence the scratches.

Good clearance now it's reassembled and greased up like a pig.

Thanks for the help, it was the guide and it's pictures that were linked to that helped suss out what was wrong.

cheers
    jake