Supercharger conversion

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by rodney, Mar 6, 2004.

1. rodney New Member

Does anyone know if a supercharger from a mini cooper-s would be appropriate for a Mk3 golf gti 8v ? (Obviously there would be quite a bit of 'adapting' to be done, but these superchargers seem to be quite cheap to buy practically new, and are also very available)

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Depends on what boost you want to run, what pulleys are available (or can be made up for you), and what the maximum allowable RPM of the supercharger is.

3. Jono_TDI Forum Member

Pulleys i guess are minor details i think i would be more conserned on how the fuk i was gonnna fit it to my mk3 8v Engine, As for RPM i dont think a 8V GTI is gonna out rev a cooper S as i have been for a Rip in a Cooper and they are fukin mental [:D] , Oh yeah u gotta think about a Oil pick up and how about ur oil Pump and cooling system and the intercooler, I think it would be cheaper to bye a VR6 and alot easier [8(]
    Edited by: Jono_TDI

4. ausgolfer Forum Member

I'm not sure but the Cooper is a 1.6 isn't it? Generally I think that manufacturers put smallish turbos and/or superchargers on their factory engines.
    Your motor is obviosly a 2 litre and would probably make more power with the smallish Cooper supercharger but you might find it restrictive quickly, on how much power you can get from it.
    Hope this is helpful. ;)

5. rodney New Member

Cheers guys. I think the cooper charger is self-lubricated so it doesn't need an oil pick up. To increase the performance all you need to do is reduce the size of the pulley to make the charger spin faster and compress more air.

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

But then you run into the issue of maximum charger RPM. Run it too fast and it will be inefficient, and then it will die.

7. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

nice conversion on the polo 16v tho ;)

8. rodney New Member

I should still be able to run a boost of about 9psi though, shouldn't i ?

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I don't know..... find out what the boost is on the Mini, I think it's around 11psi. Then find out the max RPM the charger manufacturer reccomend for that charger (an Eaton, I believe). Then you can do some rough calculations based on your engine size to see what charger RPM you would need to run to achieve 9psi, and whether that charger RPM is OK, or if it's going to grenade the charger.

10. Mikey C Forum Member

work it out,

CFM = (L x rpm x VE x PR)/5660

L is engine capacity
    rpm is the max revs
    VE - volumetric efficiency - use about 85% for an 8v and 90% for a 16v, till anyone else comes up with more accurate numbers
    Pr is pressure ratio => so for 10 psi its (14.7+10)/14.7 = 1.68

and look here and here for the stuff on the mini charger

mike

11. rodney New Member

Thanks Mikey c, i have actually already read those web pages whilst doing some research, but i didn't know for sure that the mini had an eaton charger. The only thing is, i've read that the roots type supercharger really heats up the inlet air temperature. Does this mean that the benefits of an intercooler would outweigh the fact that it also causes quite a bit of power loss?

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It overheats the charge temp if it's overdriven - graphs are on that page Mikey pointed you to. You're going to have to do the maths and work it out, there are'nt any short cuts. Then sort out how you intend to fuel it, and then sort out pulleys, mounting brackets and a belt tensioning system.
    Corky Bell does a book about supercharging, might be worth grabbing a copy and having a read. There's more to it than you would think.

13. Mikey C Forum Member

corky bell?? i've got this one;
    [​IMG]
    and it is highly reccomended, theres far more than just how to do forced induction, its covers every aspect of the engine systems. is that who you mean by Corky Bell?

mike

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Nope, Corky Bell, - Here.

15. rodney New Member

Yeh, i know i'm going to have to put the effort in to reap the rewards. I've already bought a few books...
    'forced induction performance tuning', '21st century performance', 'four-stroke performance tuning' and a book on engine management.
    This should give me a few months enjoyable reading before the summer project.

16. Rallye Forum Junkie

i thought the corket bell books were crap after reading the Graham A. Bell ones. Anyway.

The mini charger would flows enough CFM for 160bhp, maybe 180 if pushed. This would be more than enough for a 2.0 8v running stock compression, or modestly lowered compression.