supercharging a VR

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by b'locks, Nov 6, 2003.

1. b'locks Forum Addict

:o
    does supercharging a vr6 make it unreliable and what sort of fuel consumption are we talking?

also, where do peeps source the super chargers from? i presume they just nick em from fecked corrado's? what else is involved, new engine management?? how much would it set someone back for a supercharger, fitted.
    Edited by: b'locks

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

cant use a g60 on a vr6 mate if thats what you mean about nicking them from fecked corrados? chance of finding a good g60 is slim anyway, but its irrelevant cos it wont fit and it wont flow enough air for the big 2.8!

Z-engineering do them specially made for vr6s. But they arent worth doing IMO! because of the tight space they are centrifugal superchargers which means they dont work until the engines already spinning - much like a turbo then! And turbos produce more power...

Speak to Matt at designa dubs - he reckons he can do a small turbo for the same money as a supercharger, but with more power ;)

3. b'locks Forum Addict

GIVE ME POWER!!!!!!!!111111111111 MWHWHWHWHEHAHEAHHHEHHAHEHHAE [:x]

4. Jeff Forum Junkie

um...

5. b'locks Forum Addict

6. jcorallo Forum Member

I just need to pull you up there a little Jeff...! If a turbo produces Xpsi, and a centrifugal supercharger produces Xpsi, then they make roughly the same peak power - fact. Also, Crank driven centrifugal chargers dont have ANY lag! If you need boost, you drop it down a gear so that its over 3500rpms and off you go - instanly! [8D]

also, small turbos with the same power as a SC, fall flat on their faces after 5500rpm.... not enough flow. Have you seen my SC "snail"? Its the size of a monstor truck turbo!

Jules

7. Jeff Forum Junkie

if they both produce the same psi but one is sapping more power from the engine to produce said psi, they arent making the same power...

it might not have lag as such, I didnt say that. But you need the engine spinning quick to get boost still, you said so yourself.

8. binliner Forum Member

get a shrick manifold... cheaper than sc... wont give you as
    much power but sh*t loads of torque below 4000rpm

9. Jeff Forum Junkie

you got a shrick VSR manifold justin? :o

10. b'locks Forum Addict

may have to quiz you on your SC at the next meet, if you're there ;)

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

i think shrick manifold coupled with a big throttle body, an ATB, and a six speed conversion with the right ratio's will be a better idea...dunno how much a turbo or charger costs but i think that lot above will be about 3k...the vr6 needs torque more than it needs power (power figures are for down the pub, torque is what you need in the real world).

12. mina New Member

Have to agree with Andrew - torque is what the VR6 needs badly!!

6 speed box and a Shrick Manifold turns it into a lovely engine......

....or you could be really mad and get the whole lot like my car[8D]

13. AndrewF Forum Addict

whats your spec?

14. binliner Forum Member

15. b'locks Forum Addict

only thing that puts me off the shrick manifold is the actual look of the thing [xx(]

16. Jeff Forum Junkie

surprised PhatVR6 hasnt been in here yet saying change the gearbox first :p I dont know about the mk3 but apparently its gearing isnt as good as the Corrado box. Or just get a 6 speed like Mina ;)

17. jcorallo Forum Member

But this is it - my SC isnt sapping more power than a Turbo.

The reason is that my SC is a centrifugal charger - basically a belt driven turbo.

So the main compressor blade in my SC and the compressor blade in a Turbo are the same design.

When people talk about superchargers taking masses of crank horsepower to operate, the SC's they are refering to are positive displacement types. Examples are Eaton, Roots and Lysholm. This type gives the well known neck snapping torque thats refered to when talking about supercharging. These are large heavy units, that are inefficient and also flow restricted.

So my Z SC system (and the Vortech units) takes the best of both worlds and combines them into one. It takes the efficient hi-flow centrifugal compressor and a positive drive from the crankshaft - so I get lots of flow, and no lag!

My SC starts showing boost at about 3250rpm, and climbs linearly to about 9psi all the way up to 7000rpm.

So what I said was, max boost was at max rpms.

The effect of this is quite, unusual, and dare I say.... thrilling! What you see is that the engine gets faster and faster, and faster, the faster it goes!!

This is one problem I have with the 1/4 mile. Into 1st gear, up to 7000rpm, into 2nd gear up to say 6000rpm, into 3rd gear and at this point you are 1/2 way down the straight - and in a dead patch with regard to boost - maybe only a couple of psi - which only gives you 30bhp advantage over a stock VR6. Now as you plant the throttle, the engine revs more and more, and you get more boost, and by the time I cross the line, I'm doing 100mph with nearly full boost in the last 60ft or so, making approx 250bhp - about 75bhp over stock. But its not on the finish line where I needed the extra power!!!!!!

The turbo will have an advantage here as from the half way point, it will be able to stuff the engine with max boost and it would just pull away from me.

Fun!

Jeff - what spec have you decided on yet? if you are really going for the 350bhp - better re-mortgage! I dont see how it could be done properly for peanuts!

Jules

18. binliner Forum Member

you dont like? :o

the price is more the problem at the mo for me!!
    ;)

19. Jeff Forum Junkie

Jules, interesting stuff about the s/c, didnt know all of that.

I'm getting a fairly cheap deal on mine, its kinda sponsored by Designa Dubs because they know ill take it to shows and the pod and stuff with their name on it and they are confident it'll be impressive (whch is good because they know the way I drive so that means they'll build it to last :p), having said that its still going to cost me quite a lot!

20. b'locks Forum Addict