supercharging weber carbs.

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by jamez, Jun 29, 2004.

1. octane Forum Junkie

wtf is that? a mi16 with twin carbs and a turbo?

2. Michael Ghia Forum Member

Supercharging carbs in a blow-through manner doesn't really work that well. It's more to do with throttle position vs pressure etc.
    If you imagine on a turbo charged system, the carb only gets boost when the throttle is open where as on a Supercharged system, the pressure is there all the time, whether the throttle is open or not.
    There are ways to get around it but it's not easy.
    MG

3. GolfNut1 New Member

So basicly what has been said about a suck through system is that it will destroy the charger (in what sort of time period, 1 mintue? or 1 year? how how will it destroy it, and how hot would a charger get) and that it will lean out at high rpm

what about a large twin throat progresive carbie (such as a larger DGV Webber) so that the 2nd throat opens on full throttle, with the 2nd throat jeted higher to allow for this leaning under high rpm?

i have been thinking about putting a toyota SC14 supercharger (about $200 from jap importer) on a standard 1.6 just for a cheap alternative. I figure i can do it for $600-800, is it a waste of time and money? I would be happy with 40hp gain and last for a year

4. Rallye Forum Junkie

its a massive waste of money, EFI would see much better gains

5. GolfNut1 New Member

In AU it is an extreemly cheap option. for $800 you would pick up a standard (non gti) motor for $800, second hand, injection gear etc is imposible to find, and by the time it is sent here from UK and exchange rate it is not cheap at all, A 2ltr 8v motor with wiring harness is $2k and any 16valve motor is at least $3500

over here i have only ever seen 3 real mk1 GTi's, 2 of them rally cars (1 of them i own) and 1 road car.

Efi option is to buy a programable ecu ($1300+) and then go from there.

6. jamez Forum Member

so to continue this madness, the sole aim of this project is to try and build a motor that has, with fair certainty, never been built before. probally because it can't work.....but thats never stoped me before. so after quite alot of research, the problem remains that to simply force air into the carbs or carbs in a box will result in too little fuel flow at full throttle, as the jets are set size to supply at full throttle without the charging.larger jets will result in poor economy or flooding or not run at all witch ever comes first.so.........if you look at the carbs i have fitted, they still allow access to the original injection ports. these are closed using modified injectors and are easly removed. now i got to thinking of modifing the original fuel flow unit or a form of efi via a lamba probe to enable the "new"injection system to compensate for the fuel shortage at full throttle with a charger fitted..........running 2 fuel systems at the same time , injection and carbs.
    just a tought.................................
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. madmk4 Forum Member

been done and it works well, mini boys do it..

But thats because they cant physically use EFI on a 5 port head.. otherwise they would do.. says something doesnt it..

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

So insted of just running a fuel injection system that will work perfectly well on it`s own, your`e going to stick with cabs and add a fuel injection system on top? Hmmm.

Can`t see the need really, I`m s/c my 16v and just using digi1 with a custom chip, I know it`ll work!

9. jamez Forum Member

exactly...........total madness [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

10. ereeiz Forum Member

How did muscle cars do it then? I thought things like the Dodge charger were carb'd yet they were charged too? [:s]

11. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

ok - it *is* possible

it can be done, and it can be done to work pretty well.

but you have two options to supercharge the car

1, using very old technology cobble something together that will run awful, then spend a lot of time and money on it to get it working half right

2, use slightly newer technology (progress) to get it to work comparatively simply, and have it work better than option 1 ever will.

i will admit i have done things in the past that are not common - like uprated arb's on std shocks and springs, or a diesel crank in a 16v

but i did them because i was sure it would give a worthwhile improvement over the more common methods

i wouldn't do something purely because it was different when i knew it wouldn't be as effective as a simpler alternative

12. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

So I take it that a turbo conversion on an 1.8 gu engine running twin 40 webers will not work. Is it due to the carbs themselves or trying to keep the thing in tune. I was considering this conversion due to the cheap kits available in the states. If it is a question of keeping them in tune then wouldn't a stand alone engine management work, like from motec or emerald. If it is the carbs, do weber do any specificly for use with a turbo.