Synchro Drivetrain for 16V Mk2

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Beastlee, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Beastlee New Member

Our local yard has a G Reg Syncro in. It was driven in and left as the owner had bought a new car.

The full drivetrain is there and I have a mechanic who can get him to release the whole car for 100-200 so we can have every required part.

My questions are these :

1. Has anybody tried this?
    2. Is it even possible?
    3. If it is how big a job would it be?
    4. How easy would it be to convert the rear drum brakes to the discs we already have?

I'd like the think this would ake the car a little different especially as we may consider charging in the future.

Thanks for any info.

2. Dave J Forum Member

Mate of mine has a Golf Syncro. The boot floor is a lot shalower than on a standard Golf. I would imagine a lot of the floor pan is different.

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

first of all, it's "syncro" no 'h'.

you will need to cut out the boot floor and tunnel from your car, and do the same to the syncro, and weld it into yours. that is if you are planning to 4wd yours? or are you wanting to 16v the syncro?

anyway, you'd need the fuel tank, steering rack, gearbox, driveshafts, prop and entire rear axle and suspension.

or you could just buy my 3 door mk2 syncro converted shell and put it all in that....

4. jprocter Forum Member

LOL at phat. "or you could just buy my 3 door mk2 syncro converted shell and put it all in that...."

5. jake Forum Member

drop a nice engine into the syncro shell, should make a nice toy! If your bothered about brakes then you could probably fit rallye rear disks I guess.... and if you are bothered about the extra doors then weld them up or buy Phat's shell (the orange one I'm guessing?) I've got my eye on a syncro 'round the corner from me, could make a great plaything!

Did the syncro get ABS in this country?

6. Beastlee New Member

Thanks for the info.

I was planning on putting the drivetrain in my wife's 16V but I'm not sure I'm happy about the boot and tunnel needing removing and welding to convert it.

I was quoted about 1000 for the conversion by my m8's garage but I had hoped I could do most of it myself. I'm certainly no welder so don't think I'll do it myself.

I'm not into buying another shell just now I'm afraid.

The ABS wouldn't be on a UK syncro if it's drum brakes would it?

Thanks
    Lee

PS. Does a syncro have PAS? Maybe I could at least transfer that.

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Let me guess, the garage who quoted you that has NEVER done it before, and havne't got a clue wat's invlovled in the conversion.....

No ABS

yes, you can fit rear discs, but you'll never find the carriers for sale second hand (hweve, saying that, I have a set!)

Yes, they have PAS, and it's a special rack for the syncro. it's basically a mk3 rack, with the mk2 track rods.

8. Beastlee New Member

Correct. He's put a 2.8Turbo'd Sierra 4x4 into a Citroen AX before but not this.

I think I'll pass it up but if anyone is interedted let me know and I can give you details where the car is.

Lee

9. RoyF18 Forum Member

Don't like the sound of that!!

Phatvr6 - is the syncro drivetrain capable of handling big power? Or did you have to make modifications for it to put up with the increased bhp? I take it there is a difference between the Rallye and syncro drivetrain?

10. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I'm using VR6 syncro stuff.

The rear diffs all look the same, but the viscous couplings are different.

11. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

the g60 syncro can handle up to 350bhp with 350ftlbs i reakon if have a good set of running gear, but the tranfer ratios in all the syncro stuff is different vr 20/16, g60 syncro 21/20, dont know the carbed syncro, but i guess the vr syncro stuff can handle more power due to the lower ratios
    Edited by: nutter4x4