Taxing a Vehicle and SORN

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by squibby, Dec 8, 2022.

1. squibby Forum Member

A second hand car I'm buying is currently registered to the seller and MOT until October next year.

I want to transfer it into my name in a couple days.

But I won't be driving it until January next year. It will be parked on a secure private driveway for the duration until I'm ready to insure, tax and drive.

What's the process? Do I need to SORN it? and when I want to start driving it, will the current MOT still be valid for me to simply insure and tax it?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you'll need to sorn it, and you'll want to insure it as well even if you're not driving it. the mot will still be valid

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

MOT stays with the car, Tax / SORN is linked to the owner.

4. squibby Forum Member

Ok good to know. Thanks for the input. Will get it SORN.

5. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

You won’t be able to SORN it until you have the new V5 or it’s registered to you online. Make sure the current owner does the change of keeper online as it’s much quicker than doing it by post.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the dvla will send you a reminder to tax or sorn it eventually once the change of ownership takes place as well. these days its quick and painless to tax/sorn online so no big deal

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Does the Opening poster live in Australia? They might do things differently?

8. squibby Forum Member

I do live in australia, but I'm moving to UK for 6 months, so this was a UK-centric question. My bro in UK has picked up my ride for me. Haven't been on the forum since forever, especially after selling my Edition 35 a few years back. Currently driving a 1977 280E mercedes W123. But that's getting packaged away while I'm overseas in UK. I wanted to pick up another Mk2, but alas, the missus wanted an estate, and I went for an E91 Bimmer diesel manual, lightly tuned with some nice M3-Style wheels in grey metallic with a tan/orange interior. It's a nice looking ride. Can't wait, first Bimmer, and I'm looking forward to a manual box again.

Hoping things have not changed too much for the worse in 14 years? looking forward to pork pies, plowmans, Beer in man size pints, instead of kangaroo pee beer in weakling size 'schooners'. It's be soo good, freezing, fuel costing twice as much, rain every day, greay skys,... wait a minute... what am I doing!

It's going to be fun earning Australian salary while paying UK prices for everything. I roughly earn about 1.5 times the Uk salary to do the same job. Going to drop down to four days a week for the duration of my stay, then I'll have to head back or get the australian wife a visa and change my tax status etc, so easier to just leave again in 6 months.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  9. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Where are you going to be based in the UK. I sincerely hope it's not in London or any other ULEZ area (don't get me started) as your E91 will be non compliant.

KeithMac likes this.