TDI & GTI question

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by smokesho, Feb 2, 2004.

1. smokesho New Member

ok, my friend loves my GTI, but he can't afford one. i barely can, we are both students, but love the cars. so, anyways, he is thinking of buying a TDI, a MK IV TDI. if he did, does anyone know of what u can do to the engine ? are the mods all similar to 1.8T mods ? or are they really different because it is a diesel setup ?

AND, on the suspension end of things, what would he have to do to make his car handle as well as my GTI?

any help is appreciated

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

take it your gti is a turbo'd one then?

a GT TDI PD 150 with a re-map will thrash your gti.

a GT TDI PD 130 with a re-map won't be far off.

suspension wise, there probably the same as gti's...but both could do with stiffer shocks and springs (koni adjustable's with eibach springs or a bilstein kit usually give a good compromise betwwen cornering and comfort)

3. smokesho New Member

thanks, i appreciate the input.

4. veedubya New Member

if you speak to pug performace they can do a hybrid turbo for diesels, along with intercooler mapping filter and exhaust looking at 225-275bhp and more torque than a ferrari (well maybe not but over 350lb/ft)

apparently if you get cams and have everything balanced can get 300bhp [:D]

i want this in my mk2 ;)
    Edited by: veedubya

5. AMY

Amy Forum Member

theres a MKIV 130 TDI at Jabba that has a 202bhp 330ft/lb chip in it and that thing goes like stink [:D]

6. prof Forum Addict

TDI RS says there is a problem with the gearbox/flywheel once you get around 350lb/ft

and at the moment no one seems to do an uprated flywheel/clutch that goes with the 02m box as it is a 24mmm input shaft.

7. trendy tramp Forum Member

i'm uprating mine with a bespoke clutch and making my own flywheel. i can get the clucth to any spec but it's gonna cost you dollars [:^(]

tt

8. prof Forum Addict

indeed, and the origal twin mass wheel was designed to damp some pretty nasty vibrations so expect a rougher ride, or more grief on the box itself

9. Jamesp4c New Member

:clap:

I'm just soooo impressed, thats better than quite a lot of petrol engines!

10. tdi rs New Member

Be real careful believing wild hp claims on diesel powered cars.To get 300hp from any regular diesel car vw pug or pooron would be very very expensive.

11. Mikedav Forum Member

If you are in Canada, you can only get the bottom of the range TDI 90 so can forget most of what they have put in this thread! Check out TDI forum, iuts a US site, don't know the link but itll be on google - loads of info specific to you guys there