TDI Not getting warm?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by veedubnutz, Jun 2, 2008.

1. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

I have a wierd problem with my passat. Basically, no matter how long I drive it, it never seems to get warm! I get little read out on the temp gauge in the car, and the heater doesnt seem to blow very hot. Funny thing is, the engine thinks its hot because the fans come on almost instantly:lol: Not had it overheat so seems ok. I did a coolant change on sunday, and the coolant was horrible, quite a bit of sludge etc... so maybe the thermostat is ****ed? Any ideas?

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

whats the coolant level like?

3. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

About mid way up mate. Its fckin strange. I wonder if the fan switchis knackered, making the fan run constantly, and keeping the rad cool enough that it doesnt really warm up?

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

My '95 Passat TDi has always run pretty cool too. I've got a new stat to put in it, but have yet to be bothered stripping the PAS brackets off it to install it (and doubt a new stat will fix it anyway).

Weird - I just don't get it. Ridiculous compression, I know diesel burns entirely differently, but no heat... [:s]