temp issues

Discussion in '16-valve' started by idlirp, May 20, 2011.

1. idlirp Forum Member

i have always been concerned with overheating issues. i have my own dual relay circuit for the fan hi-speed and always take an eye to the temp gauge, especially when Ac is on, in these hot days in traffic.
    lately, this because i cant rely on those cheap fan switches, i did a small mod. the issue is, that the first speed of the fan switch isnt relayed, the second is. i think this is the problem why the switches fail, due to hi amp. so i did this, i put a old mk2 switch! the first speed is triggered by the AC, and the second by the this relayed switch. it has a very short range, actually 80-85 celcius, or 176-185'F. i choose this low temps cos the summer in albania is extremely hot, 104 degrees F is normal here.
    well, i am not satisfied at all. the fan (the second speed) kicks when the temp gauge is at 1/3, stays on for 30 sec, and then off. it kicks again after 30 seconds. so it kicks twice within a minute! i am blaming the thermostat which has hi temp 185-198"F, when the tstat tents to open the fan kicks immediately, so the t-stats closes again. is my idea right?
    the question is, do i have to get a low temp thermostat, 167- 185 for example?