The Daily, still there or disappearing?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Matt48, Jul 20, 2012.

?

Daily or not?

Poll closed Jul 22, 2013.
  1. it's definitely a daily

43 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. weekender

17 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. track car

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. project which one day will leave the drive

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Ive owned 3 Mk2's in the time you have had yours mate :thumbup:

We used to always see eachother while driving around before i was on here.

2. JonGTI New Member

My MK2 8V is my daily and my only car, as was my Rado and Mk1 Cabrio before that. It's completely original and has done over 200k, but the engine is still as strong as my brothers scirroco 8V with half the miles. It has regular journeys between Cardiff and Stroud and was faultless going to North Wales and back. I've actually been wondering how many were lost to the scrappage sheme...

3. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Once i get my membership pack through and can post i must take pics and post as i live in Germany. There is still many many Mk2 daily drivers here and Mk 1's !!!!! me and my mate were laughing at one last night with a very bashed in front end! but still at the shops!!

No road salt here and very little rust mostly!!

My local scrappy is a Gem if only i could post a pic!!!!! Got a Vote console last month for 20 Euro lol

4. turnipmuncher Forum Member

My mk2 did very little mileage from 2007 - 2011 but now doing 10k annually.

5. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

I get given a company car but used my mk2 8v for a daily as the company corsa is a boring car.
    Everyday it runs great and never faulters, sadly i have to sell it but i wish i could keep it :-(

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I do a couple of hundred commuting miles a week in my mk2; will be going through the 200k barrier later this month.

A few colleagues, friends and family members scoff at it for being old and superficially rusty. I laugh inwardly at them and their hundreds-of-pounds-a-month car loans for their newer, shinier, yet so much worse cars. [:D]

7. DuBAndy Forum Member

My '85 Mk2 Gti was used as a daily for a year, however after running it through ONE winter lots of rust started to appear that wasn't there in the summer! So had to fix the rust & now has 20VT so I'll only be using it in the summer... But as my daily in summer :)

8. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Weekends and the occasional trip to work if the weather is nice. Have a van as a daily and the gf gets a lift to work with her mate. Would use it more if the sun came out a bit more often[:$]

9. benthejettaman Forum Member

mine was in constant use but then the head gasket poped 4 years ago and have now just got it back on the road it'll be a weekend warrior, but saying that im sorning my daily next month and using the golf for a month so i dont have to tax my daily so soon after crimbo

10. Chrisrpal Events Team

My Mk2 was a daily from year 2000 to 2006 then a weekend toy to present. It was a 1.9 TSR powered MK2 then fitted an abf 16V as the 8V engine was knackered.

11. MKII_Dave New Member

100 km (~60 miles) a day, Mon - Fri in an Aussie spec (read de-tuned) '92 MKII. Only owned it for 4 months, it's my first foray in to MKII ownership and not a day goes by that I don't wonder what that new noise is or where 1st gear has disappeared to again.

So far so good. Fingers crossed, eh!

12. muppet9966 Forum Member

Yeah I remember, I did like your red mk2.

13. muppet9966 Forum Member

I get the same with my friends and family.
    And then they get surprised at my insurance and my approx 36-40mpg!

14. Matt48 Forum Member

trying to keep mine a daily with the new power steering rack and a new track rod? (both now replaced).

with tighter steering I notice the other bits that are worn out eg needs a brake bleed to tighten up pedal and the gear linkages are so loose its ludicrous.

I've got my batttery plate and airbox plate to weld in from a cut off from a Greg so angle grinding this week (needs doing for may 13 mot).

15. lemans24heur New Member

my 1992 8v gti is used as a daily only have to travel about 14 miles a day , its now got 110000 miles on it , i do like to keep it clean but it lives outside and gets used,just hope it keeps going

16. Collo Forum Member

snap and not been out on the road for 2 years now but 2013 is going to see a lot more use

17. jimmy_mack_attack Forum Member

i use my golf every day for work and commuting, easy up to 100 miles a week, i love it, i've got money to buy another car but i just don't see the point in driving something you don't enjoy even if it is impractical on fuel! also i find most mk2 that have been cared for are reliable too!

18. REIDO Forum Member

Mk2 GTD, 112k miles and going strong.
    Daily driver, 150-180 miles a week, and since feb ive also done three 900 mile round trips from perth to colchester, bugjam, ED38 ect. No probs. Does 47-50MPG at a steady 70ish mph. Done 7K miles since feb this year.
    Gets garaged end oct till around april though, dont think it would last long if used in the scottish winter/salt ect.
    Had it at ED38 show n shine this year and nobody believed it was used daily, hadnt been polished since May either! It Just got a wash and a wipe with QD.
    Mk2's are great cars

19. rich81 Forum Member

Still using mine for 34 mile per day trip to work and love every drive. Was having second thoughts about running it when baby turns up but have decided to keep it and had some bodywork bits done including new sills ready winter. They don't last forever but they are there to be used :)

These cars have something every other box doesn't; character.

20. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

my last one was a track / weekend fun car, but would do the drive to work if the weather was nice..and the new one is pretty much the same, only out when the weathers nice, I used to have a late classic mini as my daily (I have 3 of them!) and they were cool, but when doing a 20mile round trip every day and then 200 miles to home and back on a weekend its got pretty tiresome...then I got a mk4.. and since then the classic has been fun, but for every day if your doing more than a few miles, and motorway work I wouldnt like to use a old car day in day out.. Im too used to the 50+mpg with ease, air con, 6 speed, refinement, the mk2 is fun as a treat.. but its just that, a treat.