Thermostat testing - which one to use?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by G-Man, Mar 24, 2010.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Changing the termostat in the VR6 but I have lying around 2 brand new ones which are both rated at 80*C. Both are different brands, one made in France the other in Germany.

I placed them both in the pan and heated them up to a hot enough temp, but noticed one opened before the other one. Now the difference in temp between the openings i don't know but it took a fair few seconds for the other to open whilst the hob was on.

I tested it again with the same results.

My understanding would say install the one which opened first as it actually operated at a lower temp than the other thermostat?

Anyone confirm if my logic is just a load of pants or is a good enough to select the 'better' of the 2 that i have.

One brand was by Falcon (French) and the other Topran (Germany)

2. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

It'd be worth finding out what temps they're opening at, because if one's opening too soon then your engine could run too cool...

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

True; but I know neuspeed sell lower temp ones for the VR6 but will get a more accurate reading, as its not a massive gap between them but possibly enough to notice.