Threaded fastener thread

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by EZ_Pete, Jun 9, 2013.

1. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Is there a good technical discussion of threaded fastener theory anywhere on the forum? Or another forum anyone knows of?

I don't really know how to search for such a thing, but maybe someone knows the whereabouts of one?

I don't really *get* the whole business of so-called stretch bolts, and how to tell which if any really need replacement when undone. I've found this which seems quite a nice piece of work, but there must be a whole lot more info out there, if you know where to find it. I will admit to not having read that link thoroughly myself yet, but I will.

It seems like more and more bolts are being described as requiring replacement, according to official VAG instructions for recent cars, but is that vital or just precautionary? Legislation? Insurance? I guess the fasteners are an insignificant cost to dealerships compared with a car coming back with something hanging off...

Discuss?

Thanks smudge, for moving this here.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Thanks for those Jon, lots of good stuff to be read there. :thumbup: