"throttle blip" on startup

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Gaz37, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I seem to have an odd problem with my car in that when I start the engine from cold it revs briefly to around 2.5-3k as soon as it starts, its almost as though I've started in with my foot on the accelerator pedal (which I dont)

What could be the cause, I'm thinking leaky injectors?

BTW it's a 2E with an EV head & K-Jet

Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

my 16v used to do this at one time, i thought k-jet was supposed to do this to make it easier to start? though 3k is a bit excessive. id be looking at an air leak rather than fuel, would have thought leaky injectors would make it bog down a bit at startup not rev up. maybe check the throttle body, perhaps cable a bit tight or sticky linkage

3. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I've sprayed carb cleaner around & can't find any air leaks, I'm just a bit worried that a sudden "rev up" isn't healthy for the engine when all the oil's sat in the sump.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

maybe look at the aux air valve round the back of the tb, plus the other vac switch gubbins

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Kjet cars tend to do this, IMO. You could check the injectors for leaks, and checking the hoses is always a good thing, but it might be nothing more than the onset of cold weather changing the way it behaves.

6. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Not sure if this is relevant but the 5th injector (cold start valve) is disconnected as the car has never started when it is connected

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Could be a bit lean and tending to surge when stone cold then... getting worse in the cold weather?

8. neil kaye Forum Junkie

mine does this,but its a 16v on k jet,its starts on the key,no need to touch the throttle,but just for a second or two it revs to nearly 3k,it never used to do this until i set the timing,c/o and control pressure,so the fact it now starts so good ,the extra rev is welcome,imo it helps the good start
    i never really thought about how this would affect an engine,as gaz says with all the oil drained to the sump,could it affect the engine in such a short rev,dont most cars start this way anyway

9. alexisblades99 Forum Member

Have a look at the solenoid air valve (should be on the offside suspension turret). It bypasses the throttle plate to provide a bit of extra airflow on initial start-up. Should open when revs drop below 700 rpm, and close when they rise above 1500 rpm (with the throttle switch closed iirc). The actual valve could be gunked up and sticking open a bit, or just old and slow to close, but it's triggered by the rev counter signal through a relay, so it could also be that which is at fault.