Throttle bodies on 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by sambo, Mar 17, 2004.

1. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Rite than, cant afford 2.5g for a muts nuts th. bodies set up so i'm gona go for used bike th bodies and pug ecu and wiring, cose it should be laugh trying to get it to run! any advice how to go about this? Will be using gsxr 1000 bodies. Its going to my new tuned 9a. HELP please!
    Edited by: sambo

2. prof Forum Addict

Mk1 uses the pug ecu and bodies on his, not much point unless the head and cams have been improved first
    Edited by: prof

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

ask mk1. on here, he know how to wire up the pug ECU.

4. Mikey C Forum Member

suzuki put overly large bore bodies on some of their bikes, so they improved low end torque with second set of butterflys which opens and closes with a motor controlled by the ecu, this increases air velocity at low rpm and large throttle openings. this would be and interesting project to get working (but proly quite hard) they can just be removed or locked open otherwise. Honda used a system of twin injectors on some of their throttle bodies bikes too.

check out the thread on vwvortex about the guy whos put bike bodies on the 8v

mike

5. prof Forum Addict

or just don't floor it, gradually increase throttle opening, = same thing

6. DarrenH Forum Member

someone is doing this on mig at the moment using 42mm honda black bird bodies. should be interesting. mapping will make or brake the project imho.

7. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

cheers boys, the whole engine has been rebuilt, head ported/polished and cams reprofiled so no restrictions there. so itc poss to be done, but from wich pug do i get bits i need?

8. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

tried PMing mk1 but its not working, any1 knows whats his user name, please?

9. greg s Forum Member

mk1. - needs the dot

10. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

cheers m8

11. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I`ve been looking at those mega squirt ECU`s from the usa, build one yourself and come wiyth all the software to map from a laptop 200.

edit spelling [xx(]
    Edited by: KeithMac

12. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like a good deal

13. Mikey C Forum Member

i think the pug ecu thing is done through chipwizards, theres info on their site about using the pug setup for throttle bodies

the whole thing does sound like a very attractive option, be interesting to see a full story from mk1 on here about where the problems are and what he reckons of it etc

mike

14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Worth noting that for some reason (no i'm not blaming the Pug ECU, but it is French :lol:)

Mk1.'s car 2 litre 16v flowed head with throttle bodies, 285 cams, ported head, yada yada produced hardly any more power than my 9A with standard head and KR cams (k-jet) at Stealth last summer [:s]

sounded nice though [:D]

15. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Yea go on mk1. share,share....

16. mk1. Forum Junkie

yep not making the figures asyet [:$] getting on for a year since it was last on the rollers,we had a couple of problems with both cars(see Loz`s mk1 in members pics)mine burst a hose on the rollers and Loz`s g/box died so we didnt really get the best out of them as we had to wrap in at 5pm due to the location,think it was about 170 atf on mine [:^(] as for running its never missed a beat apart from a faulty plug,fuel pumps noisey and is getting replaced and maybe the inlet manifold before I book somemore dyno time,compared to when it was on k-jet there is a big difference in the way it drives,it used to pink even with a k-star,now theres no pinking what soever,it runs the same on u/l as it does on optimax so I think it should run a bit more adv onece its set back up so should see some improvement,me mates kitcar has made over 200bhp using the same setup on his 16v vauxhall motor so when fettled it does work,just a case of finding the time to sort me own car and not everybody elses [:x]

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

With the spec Louis, that should be a 200bhp engine, must be something amiss [xx(] Hope you find time to sort it,It's got potential :thumbup:
    Edited by: G_V_K

18. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I'v bought couple of citroen ecu-s, cranck sensor and coil pack today. Spoke to wayne from chipswizards(true gent), and will be gettin full xantia loom to make it easier to build engine management with wich i'm hoping to run bike th bodies on my 9a, just could do with some more input bout ecu(how to?), Any1??? Otherwise wayne is my only hope!

19. jaistanley Forum Member

Is that ECU the bosch MP3.1?? That ecu seems to have the most options available and have the greatest following on the net. Thinking about doing this myself so if I learn anything will share all.. Hopefully if a few of us do this we could write a nice How to or something??

Jai

20. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

NO its not bosch, i was adviced by wayne to get magneti marelli one as he said its the one thats particularly suited for th bodies so i got couple of them and hope at least one want have imobiliser fitted as it costs 75 to get it off!