ticking noise help

Discussion in '8-valve' started by copeidge, Jul 30, 2008.

1. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

hello, i havent yet done any miles in my car since i bought it in december, but the engine seems to tick quite alot, it has done 86,000 miles and was owned by a doctor so it hasnt been raged, i have changed the oil and filter and spark plugs... any other suggestions that might help thanks!

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Does it tick all the time, just when cold, just when hot??? All the time or just when ticking over?

Where does it sound like it's ticking from - Under the rocker cover? ... or down the side ...or near the gearbox?

Sounds like it's got a bomb in it ;) but more info is always a help.

3. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

it mostly ticks when cold but when hot is not as bad but still there. seems like under the rocker cover? do you recon it could need a new seal cos ive taken it off the paint it and didnt replace it..... thanks

4. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

help anyone??

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

So you took your rocker cover off and didn`t refit the seal? Or do you mean you just used the old one? Either way, I bet it p*sses oil out...

The `ticking` sound will almost certainly be from the tappets. It`s a very common thing on older engines (whether they`ve been ragged or not.)

Of course the best thing to do would be to replace them. They only cost 50 for a full set, and about half a day to do. I`d only suggest doing them yourself if you are pretty confident about removing/refitting the camshaft and resetting the timing.

No offence intended, but if you didn`t even refit/replace the rocker gasket, then I wouldn`t even think about replacing the tappets yourself. You could end up messing the engine up completely...

Your next best solution, which will still give you plenty more miles of motoring, would be to try the `ATF trick`. Do a search for it on here. There`s loads of threads on it.

Good luck. :thumbup:

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd try ATF myself. I agree with Stu that it's probably one or more tappets aren't pumping up properly.

If you're leaking oil from the rocker cover, then you need a new seal, but otherwise it'll be fine.

7. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

ye i knew to replace the seal when removing the old rocker cover but becuase i dont have it on the road yet (sorn) and its stuck in my garage i didnt feel the rush to do it lol your rite though i wouldnt av a clue about the tappets lol thanks for the help!