Tie Rods Help (Lock Nut on Inner Rod) MK2 Golf

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Todd Motto, Sep 1, 2023.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for mk3 wide track its 435 for manual, and 406 for pas.

its worth noting that the mk2 golf haynes manual only includes the track rod measurement for pas, and doesnt mention manual rods are different (410mm in case you wanted to know)

and yes, you set both rods to the same length if its all 'new' then adjust only the driver side to correct tracking

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I don't think it makes a lot of difference where Inner tie rods are asong as it it safe (plenty of thread insertion) and there is enough scope on the tie rod end for adjustment into spec.

I've set both up identical, centered the rack and then adjusted each side tie rod end to suit with rack totally centered (exactly same turning lock left and right).

The early cars had locked unadjustable lhs / ns so I suppose this would be more critical as you only have rhs / os for any adjustment.

3. rubjonny

yeah tbh in the real world its fine so long as rack and wheels are central, subframe is on straight and plenty thread into the ends etc. but if its way off factory spec I'd be looking over everything to make sure all is straight though. could just be the ball joints arent central, camber isn't set to factory spec or whatever. on my old cab i set both to factory left side length and it was pretty much perfect out of the box

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I'm sure on the Power Steering Rack they just screw in, there is not lock nut or adjustment

5. rubjonny

yep thats correct, you just bottom out the pas rods only need to set the rod length