** Tie/Track Rod Help Needed ASAP ! **

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Ezy D, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Just changing my steering rack on my Mk3 VR6 (1997). Sub-frame is off etc.

One of the tie rods is seized to the steering rack. I've spent 2 days trying to get it off and used a blow torch too. But nothing has worked.

So I thought buy a new 'Lemfoerder' tie rod (NSF) to go onto the new steering rack and use the other old tie rod (OSF). But the new Euro Car Parts tie rod is really quite stiff and has a plastic insert in the joint. Where as the 10 year old VW tie rod has no plastic insert and is really easy to move about ... almost sloppy. I don;t want to use two tie rods that have such different levels of movement.

So the questions are:

* Should there be a plastic insert in the tie rod joint ?
    * Should a new tie rod be that stiff ?
    * Is the old tie rod knackered ? hence why it is that sloppy ? (Both old ones are like it)
    * Do I go and buy VW OEM tie rods and ditch the 'Lemfoerder' Euro Car Parts tie rod ?

All answers would be appreciated. I need to get this done in the next 2 days as I'm off on holiday on Friday (Arrrggghhhh - panic !) [:s] .... 5 days in Venice :thumbup:

Thanks as always :clap:

New Tie Rod -

[​IMG]

Old Tie Rod -

[​IMG]

2. Oli.Hall Forum Member

1. don't think that there are plastic inserts in new VW rods.
    2. brand new tie rods are always really stiff, they free up in use.
    3. if you are changing one, then i would change the other one aswell
    4. up to you, VW ones are about 50 a side

Original tie rods are factory fitted with red (permanent) loctite. They are very difficult to remove. I had to buy a huge spanner to take them off. To hold the rack still, I used a special adjustable spanner that has an end like a normal adjustable spanner bit also has a lever that clamps it in place like mole grips. You put it on the part of the rack which has flats on it which are visible when you take the rubber boots off the tie rods. Halfords sell this spanner, it is made by stanley. I then had to put a short scaffold pole over the end of this spanner to get enough force.

Remember to put red locktite on the new tie rods when you fit them, otherwise when you do the tracking, the twisting of the rods may loosen them from the rack.

Oli.

3. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Oli :clap: Good point about the Loctite ! No wonder I have been having problems. Funny though the other tie rod was easy to get off.

I think I might just go for 2 new VW OEM tie rods then, really not sure about those plastic inserts in the ECP rod [:s]

Cheers again !

4. danTbone Forum Member

you need a lot of force to get it of . are you sure you are undoing it the right way . sory if it sounds bad by saying that ive done that once or twice . best to replace both sides realy a much better drive and might have to replace the old in a year .doing the same job twice . good luck