Time for a speaker upgrade - Bora

Discussion in 'ICE' started by drunkenalan, Jul 6, 2012.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I have just put my alpine HU in the car and although the sounds are better, the system just lacks something, so two options.

1, buy a decent set of speakers for the fronts

or

2, buy two entry level sets for front and back

budget is no more than 100

i have a pair of speaker rings, as they were cheap ;)

recommend me something please, i have seen Focals which have always been good, but i could only buy one set.

or a cheaper set of Alpine or Pioneers maybe even Vibe

2. G-Man Forum Junkie

If I had 100 to change my old mk4 golf speakers I probably would have got something like these:

Fronts (2 way components): 60
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/10630.html

Rears (Co-axial): 45
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/10671.html

But some one with more knowledge of car audio will no doubt provide a better set up for the price but for me I tend to stick to the main brand speakers and try to 'match' the range for a more even and balanced sound, plus I've always found JBL's to give a balanced sound when I've heard them in friends cars.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  3. trig

trig Forum Member

Have you thought about something like these: JL Audio 6.5" Coaxial

JL Audio are a VERY good and reputable brand. I have had countless sets of their speakers and found them to be fantastic. However, if its bass you are after then these aren't your best bet as that's not what they are designed for, these will give you clarity.

If my knowledge is correct the bora (assuming it's the same generation as the mk4) is nigh-on-indentical to the Golf, and hence should have the same door setup, where there is the metal plate that bolts onto the door and houses the speaker. This essentially creates a sealed box and is very beneficial to audio, especially bass. Again, based on it being the same as my mk4 was, the speakers are naturally quite bassy due to their setup and being component. I would recommend a set of those JL's in the front for the mid-range clarity and leave the rears standard to keep that element of bass.