Timing chain cover leak

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by jeeves555, Sep 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. jeeves555 New Member

Hi All

I'm more of a lurker here than a poster, but I am at the end of my tether with my MK3 VR6! I have a low mileage engine from an automatic, and I have mated that to a V5 box so should be good fun. It's a project which has taken 3 years or so to get to where it is and who knows how much money as I ripped my 1.4 out and replaced it with this engine as well as overhauling all bushes, bearings etc. It starts and drives. However when I stop the engine after running it for a minute or so, there is a hiss from the chain cover where it meets the head gasket and oil is running out and on to the front engine mount. I did replace the chains and made sure I used the right amount of sealant and the right torque settings. I then took it apart and resealed it again thinking this would fix the problem but still the cover is leaking and hissing when I switch the engine off. I did notice on Elsa that there are two 3mm holes either side of the block that need cleaned out and resealed, this is my next plan of action after having to take everything apart again :cry:

Please help! I've searched and searched and can't find much information on this problem. Thanks in advance.

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

It's not something I've come across before either. Normally find that the rocker seal on the other side of the head leaks more commonly.

Have you definitely got all the bolts in the cover? There's two on the underside that could be easy to miss out...

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

The timing cover is in 2 pieces if i remeber? As per the ELSA guide, You have to bolt the 2 pieces downwards to the seal and then to the engine. What i did was do them all finger tight and then do the 2 under first, and then the rest of them.

4. jeeves555 New Member

Have replaced the rocker cover seal, that's not leaking. Definitely from the corner where the HG, head, block and covers meet. Both times it's been apart I have been careful to bolt the two halves together first, then tighten the bolts holding the cover to the engine after. Tried it all to torque settings first of all, then after that just a little tighter and no dice. Have tried with the OEM 'Dirko' sealant first and last time a Loctite copper RTV. Have tried a small bead of the Dirko, then a bigger bead of the Loctite and not much difference. I did IM a guy who's built a few VRs, he says there's no oil pressure in the cover housing so I'm confused why it's hissing when the engine is turned off. All the bolts are 100% there, i have been careful to check each step of the way.

5. jeeves555 New Member

Hi all, don't know why my previous post didn't show up? Anyway, have fixed this (I hope). The headgasket had a tiny crack along where the timing chain cover meets the head, so was dribbling out down the front of the engine. Fun and games! Now just to figure out where the ISV vacuum lines are supposed to go...

Thanks for the help.