Timing mark question on ABF flywheel?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by watercooled, Sep 5, 2021.

1. watercooled Forum Member

About to do final tune after checking all static timing marks for belt pulleys and cam etc,is the other flywheel mark on from the diamond shaped mark 6 or 8 degrees ?.
    TIA,cheers.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

TDC mark for setting the timing belt is the punch mark, the bigger diamond marker is 6 degrees BTDC for ignition timing

erreesse likes this.
  3. watercooled Forum Member

Cheers RJ,set up timing light and couldn't find the diamond mark anywhere,as mentioned I have set static timing and after checking everything,I did find a mark with timing light and set it to that and it runs real nice...confused maybe my flywheel is aftermarket and only mark I have found....?
    Bit lost here as I know the flywheel only fits one way and only put back to same location besides,but have to admit forgetting where the marks were and for that matter what they looked like.
    Haven't test driven yet so will report back,Cheers.
    P.S. this is a KR flywheel which I think maybe has been replaced from original.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  4. rubjonny

actually wasnt this in a corrado? the 02a flywheel is a little different, the abf one i dont think even has any timing marks on as theres no adjustment needed? you can use a timing light with advance wheel instead, KR management can start around 8 degrees BTDC then tune from there

erreesse likes this.
  5. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks RJ you are a jem,did cold start this morning and all was good,cold start system ran for a shorter time than before and motor idling really nice.
    Mucked around with a few other things and then went for test drive...holy sh#t timing must have been rather retarded as she is making a noticeable extra increase in power.
    Downside is I smelt an oil leak when I got home,turned out to be bad oil seal in the dizzy and a puddle of oil on the top of the g/box,strange because I checked and it looked like it had been redone @ some stage and hadn't leaked up to now.
    No big deal as its an easy procedure,overall great result for timing adjustment,cheers.

6. rubjonny

7. watercooled Forum Member

8. rubjonny

fingers crossed its that one very easy to do, part number 030905224.

its often the rocker cover leaking in this area, when you do the gasket you want to put a wee smear of sealant at the corners of the humps over cam and dizzy, plus a bit on the half moon sections

erreesse likes this.
  9. watercooled Forum Member

Checked and found it is the drive seal,will order a new one ,rocker cover seal is new and fine ,thanks RJ.